6124 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

D Class Upgrade from D320 to D380

enrico.nic
Regular Advisor

D Class Upgrade from D320 to D380

Hi all,
I have just received a hardware upgrade, with a CPU board of a D380 (with 1 processor) and the relative power supply.
All seems to be well-mounted, since from the ISL prompt I can see the right (new) processor, the memory installed etc.
Until I tried to boot ...
After seeing (correctly) the disks, the system ends up with a

FLT CBFB

message.
Has any of you an idea about what to do ?

Thank you

Enrico
6 REPLIES 6
Chris Wilshaw
Honored Contributor

Re: D Class Upgrade from D320 to D380

The K class troubleshooting guide lists CBFB as

FLT CBFB Branching to the OS HPMC handler

(I've not got details for a D class, but I'd guess it's the same)

In effect, a hardware error. It could be that one or more of the cards in the server is not making contact properly, or it could be a fault with teh CPU board itself.
enrico.nic
Regular Advisor

I tried the old CPU board with the PA-7300LC processor, and all is running fine.
The problem seems to be related with the new board, with the "newer" PA-8000 processor.
Maybe an operating system patch related problem ?
Has anyone faced a situation like this after a CPU upgrade ?

Thank you
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

I suspect that the kernels are too different. You are probably going to have to do an OS install.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

It would also be a good idea to verify your Firmware Revisiuon while in the monitor. Your firmware release may be too old for your current OS. In any event, you need to check that even if a new OS install is required.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
generic_1
Respected Contributor

If you have another similar server maketape recovery could make your new build easier. Also make sure the memory is seated in the correct slots. There is usually a diagram on the side panel.
enrico.nic
Regular Advisor

Hi all

I've spoken with another person at the HP support, and he solved the problem.

I had to: put back the old D320 CPU, enable the "ccio" driver in the kernel, recompile the kernel, and put in the new D380 CPU.
After this, the system went up correctly.
CCIO is for "Cache Coherent I/O" - probably the new CPU has a different amount of internal cache than the previous one, and the system couldn't manage it correctly without the driver.

Thank you all for your help

Enrico