3942 Online
108761 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: D class Disk Hot Swapping

kenny chia
Regular Advisor

D class Disk Hot Swapping

Hi all
I have 2 disk mirrored in the D class server and one of them has failed. Based on your past experience, do I need to shut down the server to replace it?
All Your Bases Are Belong To Us!
6 REPLIES 6
Michael Tully
Honored Contributor

No need to shutdown, the reasons are that the disks are actually hot-swappable and if you have a mirror this stuffed on one disk, it will re-synch the mirror once the drive has been replaced. As long as these are mirrors, this will work. This is what you pay for when you purchase mirrorDisk/UX.
Anyone for a Mutiny ?
Stefan Stechemesser
Honored Contributor

Michael is right, no need to shutdown the system for a replacement, but keep in mind that the mirror will no be resynced automatically ! You have to enter several commands to restore the mirror.

-unplugg the bad disk
-vgchange -a y /dev/vg00 (if it is vg00)
this is to make sure, the system has recognized we unplugged the disk to avoid data corruption
-insert the new disk
-vgcfgrestore -n /dev/vg00 /dev/rdsk/...
-vgchange -a y /dev/vg00
-vgsync

Another way is to first reduce the mirror with lvreduce, but this only works if the old disk is still accessible. If the disk is a boot disk, it has to be made bootable after that with mkboot /dev/dsk... and lvlnboot -R.

Best regards

Stefan

Charlie_17
Advisor

NOTE:
This actually depends on the type of D-Class!
D3xx always have hot-swap disks, so Stefan s right for those.
D2xx do not have a hot-swap disk bay by default, but you can have. So first check whether the disks have a blue latch to pull them out, these are the hot-swap disks and you can use Stefan's procedure.
In case you have other disks, remove the old disk from your LVm configuration, shut down the server and remove the disk and add the new disk again to the configurtaion.

Hope this helps,
Charly
Time flies like an arrow -- fruit flies like a banana
kenny chia
Regular Advisor

Hi all, how is the actions / commands to restore the disk info?

1. Remove the disk
2. Replace the disk
3. Run following commands

# vgcfgrestore -n /dev/vg00 /dev/rdsk/cxtydz (x,y,z --- denotes the Faulty Disk)
# vgchange -a y /dev/vg00
# mkboot /dev/rdsk/cxtydz
# mkboot -a "hpux (;0)/stand/vmunix" /dev/rdsk/cxtydz
# lvlnboot -R

#lvlnboot -v ( To ensure the Boot definitions are accurate)

# vgsync /dev/vg00 (to Synchronize the mirrored logical volumes)

I have stopped the diagnostic (using /sbin/init.d/diagnostic stop) as the dialogd process is using too much CPU.

I'm afraid that if the new disk is defective, the dialogd process will start to consume too much CPU again. Therefore I intend to start it 2 days after the disk is synchronised fully. Any comments
All Your Bases Are Belong To Us!
Joshua Scott
Honored Contributor

If you believe that the new disk may be defective, this would be all the more reason to have diagnostics running so that you could test it, and so that your problems will be logged.

Josh
What are the chances...
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

You definitely want the diagnostics running. Just run top or Glance to see whether the diags are consuming any time. The reason that the diags consumed time in the past was to log all the errors. Unless the new disk is questionable, there should be no load from the diagnostics. In general, if the diagnostics are consuming a lot of time, you have hardware problems that need immediate attention.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin