1752671 Members
5903 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: D210 problem select bootpath at bootmenu

Hoefnix
Honored Contributor

D210 problem select bootpath at bootmenu

I have a problem installing/configuring an old second handed D210 system for @home use.

I have connected a serial (cross)cable between the console port and my laptop. Put the HP-UX 11.0 CDROM in the cdromdrive and booting. The internal harddisk is not containing any OS. I started a terminal program (cu -l /dev/ttyS0 -s 9600)

At boot I see the usual things PRIM/SEC boot PATH. Etc.
The Console path: 16/4.0 (the hardware address of the console port at the back of the D210)
The Keyboard path: 16/7.0 (the PS/2 connection at the back)

When booting the system I get the output to my laptop screen in correct format, but when I want to select the boot path after the automatic search I cannot type anything to the console-port.
I tried to connect a HP PS/2 keyboard (from an X-terminal), but still I am not able to type any commands to the system boot menu.(also after several restarts(keyboard connected/not connected) of the system I am not able to select the CDROM as boot path)

Is there a way to reset the D210 to its default boot-settings without using the console?
(Console path = Keyboard path = 16/4.0)
8 REPLIES 8
Dietmar Konermann
Honored Contributor

Maybe the configuration of your laptop's terminal problem is'nt OK? I remember similar symptoms with HW flow control enabled. Try with the minimalistic setup 8N1/9600bps w/o any flow control (neither RTS/CTS nor XON/XOFF).

Best regards...
Dietmar.
"Logic is the beginning of wisdom; not the end." -- Spock (Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country)
Dietmar Konermann
Honored Contributor

Oops, looks like I issed important parts of your post. :-) So, essentially you need to reset the NVRAM configuration to factory defaults. Sorry, no idea. I apologize.
"Logic is the beginning of wisdom; not the end." -- Spock (Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country)
Hoefnix
Honored Contributor

Yes, I look for a procedure to get the system in factory default state without using a keyboard or console?
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Is your notebook running Linux?
Please connect to the serial port using w2k machine (proven to work). Disconnect all PS2 devices off the server. Start hyperterminal on the notebook and set 9600/8/n/1. Boot the server, you should see something in the hyperterminal window - and will be able to enter chars. As I remember when connecting via serial port keyboard path does not matter - it defaults to this serial port (so PS2 will not work).
Anyway: console 8/16/4 (if there's no AccessPort) and 8/12/0 with access port. I guess if using serial port the same path should be set for keyboard
Eugeny
Hoefnix
Honored Contributor

My Laptop is dualboot (Linux and Win2K) and also Hyperterm is not working.

I will try this evening with another serial cable. Hope that will work.

Thanks anyway for your response.
Hoefnix
Honored Contributor

I fixed the problem by replacing the Laptop by a PIII desktop running good-old Telix.
That is working fine and I am able to install this system.(RS232 cable was not the problem)

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Ps. The Laptop was a HP Omnibook 6000, with a defect com1 port I think. Sometime you blame the wrong parts of the configuration.
Stefan Stechemesser
Honored Contributor

although the problem is already fixed, an additional comment:

the keyboard connector is only used if a graphics adapter is used. If no keyboard is found or no graphics adapter installed, the keyboard path is ignored and the console path is used instead.

Hoefnix
Honored Contributor

fixed by using desktop instead of laptop