Did you mean: 

D270 and HASS

SOLVED
Go to solution
unixdaddy
Trusted Contributor

D270 and HASS

Hi

I have a D270 with a A2874-66005 (A4107A, FWD-SCSI)card, I believe that the 5 bay disk cage at the front of the machine also connects to this card. I've tried to connect a HASS (Jamaicas)to the external connector of the A2874-66005, but the box simply does not even see the disks at the BCH (doing sea) never mind when fully boot.

I've looked a previous threads (see below) and it seems to indicate that I need to change some settings on the card to terminate the front disk cage, but to be perfectly honest I don't understand what it is saying. Can anyone help?

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=607612&admit=-682735245+1127746732130+28353475

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=80358
5 REPLIES 5
Andrew Rutter
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: D270 and HASS

hi darren,

take the card out of the system and look at the board.
you will see 3 yellow resistor packs sat there in sockets. there will also be 3 empty sockets.
you just need to carefully remove these resistors and place them in the other sockets. put the card back in and boot the server.

Also check there are no scsi id conflicts on the hass box to the internal disks as this will cause them not to be picked up either.
you can change the scsi ids on the hass box by the binary switches on the back of the box

Andy
unixdaddy
Trusted Contributor

You are the man. I got my screwdriver out and prised the case open, popped those 3 suckers out, put them into the other 3 empty slots. Connected the server to my HASS, rebooted and hey presto everything is online. That is stage 1 complete, just for information I also changed the scsi id of the controller card to 6, this is so I can connect another D370 to the same HASS and maybe I'll have a cluster.

ITRC is the best thing since sliced bread
;-)
Stefan Stechemesser
Honored Contributor

Hi,

if you are going to build a cluster, then please keep in mind:
If the internal bay is still connected to the scsi card, there is one terminator on the internal bay and the other terminator is on the other end of the bus on the HASS. This is a supported configuration.
If you build a cluster, then you must not use inline terminated cables, because you would get two additional scsi terminators on the end of the inline terminated cables which are in the middle of the bus.
This would lead to SCSI bus hangs or parity errors.

=> either use normal scsi cables (no HA configuration) or else unplugg the cable of the internal SCSI bays of the D-Class from the SCSI card and use the inline terminated cables.

best regards

Stefan
unixdaddy
Trusted Contributor

Stefan,

thanks for the info, unfortuantely I pretty thick when it comes to cables. The cables I have are standard scsi cables (A1658-62021 and A2095-62019) are these inline terminated? do I still need to unplug the cable of the internal SCSI bays if I use these cables? I've managed to connect both servers to the HASS and they are both up, when would I see errors?

I'm not too worried about supported configurations as this is just going to be my play area in anticpation of doing CSE HA certification.

Thanks for your help
Andrew Rutter
Honored Contributor

hi darren,

the cables you have are just standard -not inline terminated ones.

The ones you have are white and the HP inline terminated ones are all black, alot more flexible and run at a higher ohms level. And have different part number on them to what you have

you will be fine with those part numbered cables

Andy