HPE 9000 and HPE e3000 Servers
1751888 Members
4822 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

D320 to D380 upgrade - a patch problem ?

enrico.nic
Regular Advisor

D320 to D380 upgrade - a patch problem ?

This is short follow-up of a previously posted question, sorry but I wasn't able to solve the problem.

Hi all,
I have just received a hardware upgrade, with a CPU board of a D380 (with 1 processor) and the relative power supply.
All seems to be well-mounted, since from the ISL prompt I can see the right (new) processor, the memory installed etc.
Until I tried to boot ...
Booting from my boot disk, I obtain a
FLT CBFB
message.
I can boot correctly from the 11.0 install disk, where it seems that the machine sees all peripherals at their usual SCSI IDs.
The HP Support told me that in the original upgrade kit there was a CD included with scripts or other facilities to get an easier upgrade: unfortunately this kit isn't available anymore, and I bought the hardware pieces "naked" as replacement parts.
Maybe someone of you has seen this CD somewhere ? And maybe this person is available to share the programs contained in this CD ?
I really don't know which choice could be the better one. I think a complete OS reinstall should solve the problem, but maybe un upgrade to 11i could do the same job without the couple of nights needed for a complete recover of all programs.

Thank you for any help you can give me

A confused upgrader
3 REPLIES 3
Jeff Schussele
Honored Contributor

Re: D320 to D380 upgrade - a patch problem ?

Hi Enrico,

I really don't think this is a patch problem. There is *quite* a bit of difference from the PA7300 to PA8000 series of chips. Kernels are built to specific chip styles. For instance the 7300 is 32-bit only - while the 8000 can be 32 OR 64 bit. You can't Ignite from K-class to a rp7410 for the same reasons.
What you should do is backup your data on that D-class with the original system board in there & cold-install whatever OS (11.0 or 11.11) you want to use - then restore the data back.
I really don't think you're going to find a magic bullet that will make this upgrade fly w/o having to reinstall.

Rgds,
Jeff
PERSEVERANCE -- Remember, whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger!
enrico.nic
Regular Advisor

Thank you,
can anyone point me in the right direction for the backup ? I mean user accounts/mail/Oracle 8/ directories to be restored, without touching the new kernel
Or maybe I should restore all except /stand/vmunix ?

Jeff Schussele
Honored Contributor

Well, I wouldn't just restore all but stand unless you will put the *exact* same OS - patch-level & all back on.

What I would do is

1) make_tape_recovery of entire vg00 - 2 copies to be safe.
2) 2 fbackup copies of *every* non-vg00 VG
3) Run /opt/ignite/bin/save_config -f /tmp/save_config.out
4) vgexports - with the -s & -m mapfile options
5) place data produced in steps 3 & 4 above as well as copies /etc/passwd /etc/group /home/* /tcb/* (if trusted) /etc/ftab /etc/lvmtab on another system for easy access
6) Anything missed in step 5 could be retrieved from the recovery tape - just takes longer.

Also I would *definitely* relink Oracle if you stay the same OS version & probably reinstall it if you move up to 11.11.

HTH,
Jeff
PERSEVERANCE -- Remember, whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger!