108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: D370 not booting up

SOLVED
Go to solution
Cheryl Fortier_1
Occasional Advisor

D370 not booting up

Hi all. I've got a D370 with a Visualize 3D A4550 card, and a fibre card A3591B installed. I'm trying to get this system up so I can install the O/S and i'm getting an error message on the lcd display, and nothing on monitor. The LCD displays "Warn A008 Boot Dev CPU0. I did search out what A008 means, and it's scaring me. It looks like i have a problem with the coprocessor, and suggests to replace my system board. Does anyone know how difficult it is to do this, and how cost prohibitive that may be?
12 REPLIES 12
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor
Solution

I haven't been able to find code A008 for a D370. But if it is the coprocessor and the recommendation is to replace the system board, you may be better off trying to get a used D370/80/90 from a reseller. I have a feeling that will be just as cost effective as trying to get just the system board.

Have a look at the following page from partsurfer.hp.com. The price for a system board is $416 is you return the defective one. If you don't it's $15,000.

http://partsurfer.hp.com/cgi-bin/spi/main?sel_flg=partlist&model=D370&HP_model=&modname=9000+Server+-+D370&template=secondary&plist_sval=Electronic+Parts&plist_styp=catagory&dealer_id=&callingsite=&keysel=X&catsel=Electronic+Parts&ptypsel=X&strsrch=&pictype=I&picture=X&uniqpic
Jeff Schussele
Honored Contributor

Hi Cheryl,

A0008 is Boot Device not found - see the following threads:

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=91184

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=136271

Suspect either your boot drive is dead or the pri boot path is incorrect.
Do a sea ipl & check the path - if correct & you have no alt path (mirror) - it's time for a HW call.

HTH,
Jeff
PERSEVERANCE -- Remember, whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger!
Angus Crome
Honored Contributor

You should also verify that termination is in place.
There will be three yellow or black chips (really resistor packs) side by side on the SCSI controller, right behind the internal connector. If they are not there, you will need to put a Differential (HVD) terminator on the external port of that card (I am guessing that you are using the internal Jamaica drives), or find the the chips. If you are using the built-in Single Ended port, then the termination is not configurable at the controller end and should be fine.
Also, make sure the internal SCSI cable is connected to the drive bay and the card (and seated correctly, with no bent pins). Lots of re-deployed/re-sold hardware comes in stripped of many useful and/or necessary parts. I had a D370 come in once with no internal cables and the heat sinks ripped off the processors.
There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't - Author Unknown
Joshua Scott
Honored Contributor

Make sure that the internal drives are connected to the internal port on the SCSI Card that came with your system.

Josh
What are the chances...
Cheryl Fortier_1
Occasional Advisor

Thanks guys for your responses. This system is driving me nuts! I bought it off ebay from a government surplus facility last year, and havent had the time, nor money to get it up and running. This is my first attempt at it. I have 2 2.oGB hot-swappable drives that I got free from an HPUX instructor, so I'm not sure if the drives are ok. Keep in mind, that this system does not even have the O/S installed as of yet. I'm trying to get the system to come up so I can install it, and at this point I can't even get the monitor to display anything. I've got a typical PC monitor plugged in with the proper EVC converter. I know the monitor works, cuz I've hooked it up to other systems currently running, and it displays fine. I'm thinking that the the operating frequency of the monitor is too high, or something, because I get an out of frequency screen displayed. I've tried pressing the F4 key upon boot up, and also the d key to try and get some output on the monitor, but to no avail. I will check into all the suggestions you guys have made already, and see if i can tame this beast!

Many thanks!

Cheryl
Joshua Scott
Honored Contributor

Cheryl,

Have you tried to hook up a terminal to the system? You will probably have to install HP-UX before the Monitor will work with it. If you don't have a terminal then you can use any PC or Workstation that has a serial connection.

Josh
What are the chances...
dave daniels_2
Valued Contributor

Sheryl, Per Scott's suggestion attach a console to the rs232A port. You will not get any graphic output until the system boots to the OS level.

In order to install software you will need to get the console working. If I can be of additional help don't hesitate.

Dave
Daved@elitetechnicalsolutions.com
Cheryl Fortier_1
Occasional Advisor

Thanks guys. I was able to get a hyperterminal connection and was able to at least see the menu display on my HPUX. I've discovered that my memory is actually the problem. So, for anyone in the future that has a "WARN A008 BOOT DEV CPU0" message, it means a single bit error occured during memory self tests. I've pulled out the memory board, and found that slot 0A is missing the memory holder. I've tried to move all the memory bypassing slots 0A and 0B, but it appears that these slots must be populated. Does anyone know if there is a way to disable these two memory slots...or should I just buy a new memory board?
dave daniels_2
Valued Contributor

Hi Cheryl,

So the entire connector is missing? Wow thats strange. I have just verified that in my D370 You can boot the system with slots 0A/B empty. It will give you warnings, which you can choose to ignore. If you decide you want to replace the CPU board let me know, I can help you with a replacement.

Good luck,
Dave