108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: D390 Upgrade

SOLVED
Go to solution
Betty Hardin
Frequent Advisor

D390 Upgrade

We have an old D390 filled with 4GB drives that we are hoping to use as a database test server. Documentation indicates that the system will support 5 internal 18GB drives - for a maximum capacity of 90GB.

Can we update the firmware and/or SCSI card in the machine to support larger drives?

If so, what would it require?
9 REPLIES 9
Robert_Jewell
Honored Contributor

The problem is that the largest drive module made for the D class was 18gb. The module is the black container with the tab that extracts the disk. The module also converts the drive to a DF (HVD) interface that the D class uses. While there were 36GB modules manufactured that use the same enclosure type, they are only offered in single ended and were for the AutoRAID disk array.

So, its not really the firmware, but the drives available. While you could crack the enclosure open to insert a larger disk there are concerns such as cooling and spindle speed to consider, plus those modules are a devil to get back together.

-Bob
----------------
Was this helpful? Like this post by giving me a thumbs up below!
Jesse Dougherty
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Betty, you don't need to update anything, your D390 will take larger drives, you can get 396GB internally into your D390 using: 2 x 180GB & 1 x 36GB disks. HP never made anything better than an 18GB for the D boxes but we use 36GB & 180GB ones. The drives cant be placed under HP maintenance but they will work in the D boxes, we do it all of the time. Check out ebay.com part number ST180331X and ST36331X for more information on these ones.

Jesse
Cypress Technology Inc
Betty Hardin
Frequent Advisor

Jesse -

Does Cypress Technology provide support for the installation and maintenance of these drives?
Jesse Dougherty
Honored Contributor

sure, we offer some basic over the phone assistance to install them. As for the maintenance, they cary a 1-year warranty with a 2-day exchange if one ever fails.
Betty Hardin
Frequent Advisor

And Jesse -

What is your return policy? And how - besides Ebay can I contact you?
Jesse Dougherty
Honored Contributor

you can give me a call at 727-557-0911 or email at jesse@cypress-tech.com
Naveej.K.A
Honored Contributor

Hi Betty,

If you have an empty cage of a 18GB hard disk, you can open the cage, remove the hard disk and fix a 36GB Hot swappable hard disk. And beleive me it works. It has worked for me and I have successfully installed in a D370.

Regards,
Naveej
practice makes a man perfect!!!
Betty Hardin
Frequent Advisor

Thank you all. We are planning to work with Jesse on this.
Betty Hardin
Frequent Advisor

We installed the 180GB drive as recommended by Jesse