Did you mean: 

DAT 72 problem

SOLVED
Go to solution
alexey sipkin
Occasional Advisor

DAT 72 problem

hi,
i have hp server rp3440 with hp-ux b.11.11. when i try to connect hp dat 72 external tape drive (scsi) system couldn't find this device. rebooting the server didn't solve the problem. how can i identify the problem? (unfortunately i don't have spare LVD terminator and VHD-to-HD scsi cable to check their integrity).
19 REPLIES 19
Phil uk
Honored Contributor

Re: DAT 72 problem

Hi,

Can you confirm if your DAT72 is installed in a Smart Array unit?
The "on Board" SCSI connection on the RP3440 shares the same bus as the Upper Most disk in the RP3440......I can't remember what the SCSI ID of that disk is, so check the SCSI ID set for the DAT Module on the rear of the Chassis (were the SCSI cable plugs in).
You may have a duplicate SCSI ID set on the bus.
Regards,
Phil
Phil uk
Honored Contributor

.. I think the Upper Disk (if installed) is SCSI ID2, so don't use ID 2 for the DAT when using the Servers "onboard" SCSI connection.
alexey sipkin
Occasional Advisor

one of SCSI C1010 Ultra160 Wide LVD have ext bus id=2, the second have ext bus id=3, i suppose the first one is using by two HP 73.4GMAX3073NC and the second one must be used by my DAT. on the rear side of my DAT switch in position "3". result of ioscan id attached.
Phil uk
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi,

Yes
C2t0d0 Lower disk
C2t1d0 Middle disk are both on the same bus.

You dont appear to have the upper disk installed which would rule out the ID conflict problem.

I would expect to see something like:
0/1/1/1.3.0 (3 being the current ID for the DAT)

Its a shame that you dont have a spare cable or TERM to test, but you could try:-
putting the DAT in another slot in the Tape Array
set a scsi ID - POWER CYCLE THE Tape Array so that the value is used.
reboot server
Let us know..
Phil
alexey sipkin
Occasional Advisor

cable and terminator are the new one, and in previuos cases there are not such problems, but it was DAT 40 (but i think it's doesn't matter).
could u describe more clearly you solution, because i don't understand.