108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DDS4 Tape drive installation

SOLVED
Go to solution
Trevor Meredith
Advisor

DDS4 Tape drive installation

I would like to know if it is possible to install an internal DDS4 Tape Drive in the K380 server SPU, are there any issues with the internal SCSI interfaces available?

Thank you
'HP 9000' The best server I've worked on.
4 REPLIES 4
Joshua Scott
Honored Contributor
Solution

Trevor,

The K380 has an internal 50pin SE SCSI bus for its internal CD-ROM and tape drives. I've seen DDS-2 and DDS-3 drives installed in it.

The Specs for the DDS-2 & 3 say that their Interface is SE Narrow SCSI, while the specs for the DAT40 (DDS-4) gives LVD/SE Wide Ultra SCSI-2. The 'wide' designation means that the drive interface has 68 pins, whereas the K380 has 50 pins on it's internal bus. Based on this I would say that it is not compatable unless you have some sort of adapter.

Your best bet would be to get an external drive and connect it to a SE SCSI interface on the server with a 68 to 50 pin converter cable.
What are the chances...
Trevor Meredith
Advisor

Thank you, I had done some checking previously and found some adapters but am not sure whether they work, are there any that can workd for internal drives?
Joshua Scott
Honored Contributor

I'm sure there are adapters, but I don't know of any off the top of my head. If the adapter will connect the drive to the internal bus, it will certainly work.

-Josh
What are the chances...
Trevor Meredith
Advisor

Thank you for your help.