1752738 Members
5134 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Daisy chain Ultrium and DLT?

Chris Wyld
Frequent Advisor

Daisy chain Ultrium and DLT?

I have an Ultrium 460 connected to a ProLiant ML570 G2. I want to connect a DLT 7000 to the Ultrium to restore data to the server from both drives. When I connect the DLT the system hangs at "39160 Port 2 at slot 00, 00:05:01 - SCSI termination not found". The drive(s) are connected to the integrated SCSI controller. I have the DLT drive terminated, but I have also tried it without the termination, same result. Any suggestions?
10 REPLIES 10
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

It may work ONLY if your DLT7000 drive IS NOT an HVD-interface drive (high voltage differential)! If it's HVD then DO NOT connect it to 29160 and ultrium drive - HVD and LVD are not elecrically compatible. To connect HVD device please use 2944 card
Eugeny
Chris Wyld
Frequent Advisor

I have attached the DLT by itself and it works fine. I just can't get it to work in conjunction with the LTO.
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Then your DLT7000 should be single ended. I doubt that LTO 460 can work in single ended mode. This should be a problem
Eugeny
Joshua Scott
Honored Contributor

What's the part number of the DLT-7000? I seem to remember that HP's DLT7000 drives were all HVD SCSI.
What are the chances...
Chris Wyld
Frequent Advisor

This DLT is a Quantum, if you need the part number I can get it.
Joshua Scott
Honored Contributor

If it's not too difficult, the Part # might help.

What about the cable lengths between the server & the ultrium, and then the cable length between the Ultrium & DLT? If the DLT is Single-Ended SCSI, then the maximum cable length combined between the two is 2.0 meters.

If your cables are longer than that, then you probably just need shorter cables.
What are the chances...
Joshua Scott
Honored Contributor

OK, I did some searching and found that the Quantum DLT-7000 comes in SE and Differential
(I'm stupid, I should have thought of my own DLT-70 that's SE in my HP netservers)

Part Numbers:

Single Ended:
TH6BE

Differential
TH6BF

if you have the SE, see my above message. If you have differential, then the Ultrium & DLT won't work together.
What are the chances...
Chris Wyld
Frequent Advisor

My DLT is single ended. I'm using a 2 meter cable from the server to the Ultrium and a 1 meter cable from the Ultrium to the DLT.
I don't have a cable less than 2 meters that I can use for the Ultrium so I think I'll just connect them separately when I need them.
Thanks for all your input.
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

> My DLT is single ended. I'm using a 2 meter cable from the server to the Ultrium and a 1 meter cable from the Ultrium to the DLT.

You don't want to put the LTO2 on the same bus as a SE DLT7000. It will force the bus to SE mode (assuming you have a LVD HBA).

In SE mode the LTO2 drive will be limited to 40MB/Sec.

The LTO2 drive on a LVD bus is capable of 160MB/Sec burst (if you are on a 160/320 HBA), and sustained transfer rates (i.e. streaming) of 30MB/Sec native and 60MB/Sec compressed (assuming 2:1).

You won't stream the drive with compression enabled on an SE bus.

The other problem with running in SE mode is it limits cable lengths (3M total at 40MB/Sec). This can cause bus hangs and other problems if you have too much cable.
The journey IS the reward.