108793 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Decrease reboot time

SOLVED
Go to solution
Joe Profaizer
Super Advisor

Decrease reboot time

Is there a command in ISL that will set my system permanantly to boot faster so that I don't have to watch all that Process, IO, and Memory displays?

If not, how do I speed up my reboots and startups?

..Joe
12 REPLIES 12
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

Re: Decrease reboot time

You can speed it up a little bit by setting 'FASTBOOT' to 'ON' in the firmware monitor but normally rebooting is such an infrequent thing that it is not a problem. The better answer is to attack why you are rebooting so much. Fastboot bypasses the memory check.

If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Helen French
Honored Contributor

Hi,

You can set the "FASTBOOT" option to "ON" on the Boot console menu. But it is not advisable to do so, as you will not able to see any boot warnings and error messages.

See this thread for some information:

http://us-support.external.hp.com/cki/bin/doc.pl/sid=28e4c7151c8101d61d/screen=ckiDisplayDocument?docId=200000047257291

HTH,
Shiju

Life is a promise, fulfill it!
S.K. Chan
Honored Contributor

You can set FASTBOOT to "on" but do you really want to bypass the hardware check ?
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

The only way I know of to somewhat speed up the boot process is turn FASTBOOT on. What this does, as far as I know, is disables the memory checks when the machine is coming up. The problem with it is that is disables memory checks when the machine is coming up. If something happens and you have a bad SIMM, it won't alert you if FASTBOOT is on.

Other than that, there is not much that can be done to speed up the boot process. Yes, it can be damned slow at times, when you want it to hurry up, but that's just the way it is.
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor

Joe, don't get offended: Don't reboot = fast reboot :-)

live free or die
harry
Live Free or Die
David Lieberman_1
Frequent Advisor

Joe,
Here's a link (and HP's position on the issue - mine as well...):
http://us-support3.external.hp.com/cki/bin/doc.pl/sid=8e6d2ddd1d002ad2e9/screen=ckiDisplayDocument?docId=200000047257291

I recommend leaving FASTBOOT=OFF unless you are installing patches, or need to reboot multiple times in a row for maintenance. The few minutes (maybe) saved are not (imo) worth the grief if flaky memory or hardware is undetected and crashes the box.
Ron Kinner
Honored Contributor

You might take a look at your processes and see if you are loading something you don't need.

I expect if you were really brave you could go into your S and K files and pull out stuff that doesn't need to be there. No point in killing SNMP if you never start it in the first place.

Just my two cents.

Ron
David Lieberman_1
Frequent Advisor

Ha! I started typing when there was only one response... lol
Sanjay_6
Honored Contributor

Hi Joe,

You can do that by enabling "FASTBOOT" on the system. You can do with going to PDC and then disabling FASTBOOT. Do remember that if you do this, it will disable the memory test.

Hope this helps.

Regds