1753950 Members
7690 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Disk Space issue on D - Class Server D350 .. more space reqd

Sujit ku Singh
Occasional Contributor

Disk Space issue on D - Class Server D350 .. more space reqd

I just wanted to know whether we can add to a D- class D350 (9000/821/D350) Server single Hard disk drives of individual sizes of 128 GB .. and that also is how many of them can be added . This server is running the OS HP-UX 10.20 ( B.10.20 A).
It is presently having the disks of the sizes 2 Gb and 4 Gb .

It is reqd to increase the disk space by another 40 -50 Gb ..and preferdly we want to use the 128 GB Disks ..

Pls detail ..

P.S. This thread has been moevd from Disk to Servers > HP 9000. - Hp Forum Moderator

2 REPLIES 2
Owen_15
Valued Contributor

Hi Sujit,

Seeing as hpux 10.20 is out of support, and the D Class might be as well, I'll presume that you're not too worried about official support from hp on this setup.

As such, you just need to check that the 128gb disks support the scsi card speed in the D class server. This I think will be around ultra2 or ultra2 wide. Most hard drives will negotiate down, but I'd check and test that.

I'd still use your 4gb disks for the root disks, and use the 128gb disks for data disks. HPUX may not recognise 128gb disks as root disks, and you probably wouldn't be able to create ignite recovery dds tapes with 128gb root disks.

The number of devices that are supported on your scsi bus will depend on the speed of your scsi bus. Ultra2 will support 8 devices and ultra2 wide will support 16 devices. So depending on the number of scsi id's you are using, and don't forget the controller uses generally scsi id 7 or 6, will determine the number of devices that you can put on the scsi bus.

Hope this helps.

Regards
Owen
Jesse Dougherty
Honored Contributor

Hi Sujit, you can max out your 9000/D350 at 396GB of internal disk using 2 x 180GB Half-Height and 1 x 36GB Low-Profile pluggable disk drives. HP didn't make anything above a 36GB drives for them but there are third party 180GB drives available for these servers.

I dont know of any 128GB disk drives that can be used in the 9000 D class servers.

Hope this helps

Jesse
Cypress Technology Inc