HPE 9000 and HPE e3000 Servers
1747984 Members
4799 Online
108756 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Does RP8400 has redundant capability ?

SOLVED
Go to solution
sdip
Advisor

Does RP8400 has redundant capability ?

Hi,
I had a impression that if we configure N par in rp8400 server then those partition would affect if any partition goes down.

But one of my seniour today told me we can have redundancy in every level except bus level. So if bus level got any problem then it would affect all the partitioned servers.

Would anybody clear it please ?

Regds
SS
6 REPLIES 6
melvyn burnard
Honored Contributor

As you would have multiple Npars running on hte rp8400, anything that is common would be a single point of failure for ALL Npars. One example would be your power supplies, hte main backplane is another. Likewise, hte fans,if one fails, hten you still have redundancy, but if two fail at hte same time, hten hte box will go down.
My house is the bank's, my money the wife's, But my opinions belong to me, not HP!
Sunil Sharma_1
Honored Contributor

Hi,

it is depend on the way you configure RP8400 in N-pars.
Everything which is shared will only cause full system to go down other wise bo.

Sunil
*** Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today ***
sdip
Advisor

Hi All,

Actually we don't want to share any partitions resources with other partitions. But is it true "rp8400 does not have bus level dependancy" ?
Stefan Stechemesser
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi,

what do you mean with "bus level" ? The rp8400 has lots of busses. There are busses on the IO Backplane (Ropes and PCI busses), on the Cell Board(s) (Memory & CPU busses) and on the system backplane (Crossbar bus).
The IO and Cell Board busses are completely independent if located in deifferent npars.
The backplane busses are connecting each cell board to the two (redundant) crossbar chips on the system backplane.
Because the crossbar chips and the cell boards are connected via point-to-point links (switched fabric), no bus problem on one of the above busses should effect other cell boards that are running in independent partitions.

=> the rp8400 has bus level redundancy, because there are no shared busses between n-partitions.
Todd McDaniel_1
Honored Contributor

Stefan is waaay right...

I just had a npar/vpar course online...

NO n/vPar will ever share resources of anykind... cpu memory fiber nor HBAs.

The only exception is when you have the CPU pool where cpu can be utilized from a pool and put back in the pool for use by another Npar/Vpar.

The new cell-based boxes, Keystone/superdome/matterhorn are built for redunandcy... If you take a look at the architecture you will clearly see it.

here is a great link to it

http://www.hp.com/products1/servers/rackoptimized/rp8400/index.html
Unix, the other white meat.
Kenneth Platz
Esteemed Contributor

I used to manage a rp8400 which had been configured as a 2-way MC/SG cluster (each half was one node of the cluster), and we found out the hard way that there are certain components that, if they fail, will require bringing down the entire chassis to replace. I believe that one of the PCI backplanes is one of these components.

Now you will be able to run your other partition(s) until it comes time to replace those components, but replacement will require shutting the server down.
I think, therefore I am... I think!