HPE 9000 and HPE e3000 Servers
1753448 Members
4825 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Does hp9000 N4000 support 146G hard disk driver?

yuchengliu_1
Occasional Contributor

Does hp9000 N4000 support 146G hard disk driver?

if support ,it's product number ?
does AD148A support N4000 boot disk
need upgrade firmware ? help me ,thank you !
6 REPLIES 6
Jeff Schussele
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Well Partsurfer only lists disks up to 36 GB for the internal slots in the back of an N-class, so I 'd say it *might* work but it probably won't be supported.
But there's no reason why you couldn't use one in an external JBOD enclosure like SC/FC or MSA enclosures.
But I have to say that IMO I see absolutely no reason why one would need that much storage space for your boot/root disk - heck even 73 GB is overkill. ONLY the OS should be using that drive - not applications.

Rgds,
Jeff
PERSEVERANCE -- Remember, whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger!
yuchengliu_1
Occasional Contributor

well , i am very agree with your idea, but sometimes use two mirror disk do os and some app code may enough for some environment. so i wanna choose big disk . SBW list give me AD148A .but i am not sure whether this configuration really do my work!!!
Jeff Schussele
Honored Contributor

Well, since Partsurfer only shows that drive as an rp7420/840 & rx7620/rx8620 drive I'd say that HP probably wouldn't support it as an internal drive in an N4000/rp7400.
BUT that still doesn't mean it wouldn't work so IF you get your FW up to current levels AND wish to gamble then go for it - just make sure you get the HP part so you *know* it has HP FW w/in - that's crucial for HP-UX boot drives.

Jeff
PERSEVERANCE -- Remember, whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger!
vofsky
Frequent Advisor

Hi ,
I think you can use the 146G hard disk like A9898A.Because my unix work station C3600 has been working for long time with A9898A,no any error message from syslog,no any single I/O error.C3600 is as old as rp7400.
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

According to some other threads found here in this forum this is not supported (largest capacity is 73 GB), but seems to work.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
SteveB CR
Advisor

The server will work just fine with 146GB disks. Although Partsurfer doesn't show the model numbers for the disks HP does sell them. They're the same as the disks for the rp2400 servers.

If your server isn't being supported by HP for whatever reason, you can use a third party seagate disk drive, for example ST3146707LC. This is the Seagate Cheetah 146GB 10K Rpm U320 SCSI Disk, and an excellently compatible disk at that. The disk will run at U160 which is the architecture of the N Class and rp7400 servers, however the performance will still be above the Ultra-2 SCSI's that shipped with the server originally.

I hope this info helps.