New Discussion юеВ

Re: Downgraded L3000

SOLVED
Go to solution
Andrew Young_2
Honored Contributor

Downgraded L3000

Hi All

I have an L3000 server that has had a motherboard swapout and is now reporting that it is an L1500. My understanding is that the part numbers are identical, yet the L1500 has fewer working IO slots in it amongst other differences. Up until now this hasn't been a problem but I would like to connect this server to a SAN and increase the memory to over 8GB but the physical L1500 restrictions now come into play.

Does anyone knows what is required to get my L3000 back into its correct configuration.

Thanks in advance.

Andrew Y
Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes
4 REPLIES 4
Sandy Chen
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi,

The system board part number is the same, do you do any ss_update or ss_config after changing the system board? You should change the serial number and model number with that command. You will need HP engineer to do that, since they have to generate some codeword for the command.

Regards,
Sandy
I never think of the future. It comes soon enough.
Andrew Young_2
Honored Contributor

Hi Sandy

Thanks for the info. It concurs with the data I have. The problem is that the nearest technician is 1800 kms away. I was hoping to avoid having to import one and to do the work myself.

Regards

Andrew Y
Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes
Jesse Dougherty
Honored Contributor

you could just do a system board swap your self, get a A6797-69101 RP5470 / L3000 system board - your probably looking at about a $1,500.00 (USD) price tag in the used market or $2,300.00 for a new one from HP with the return of your old system board.
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Jesse, I guess this part is again the same for rp5430 and rp5470 and configured to be a L1500.

At least newer systems have the "init" command available from the service menu to set the values from "default" to valid, but I think the L-class don't have it. So there is no way around the "very hidden and secured hp-only tool" - you need to ask the support to set the model and serial#.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!