4928 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Dual processor A400-44

Steve Luther
Occasional Contributor

Dual processor A400-44

Hi,

I am an internal HP Openview support engineer and have a question regarding upgrading the A400-44, now I assume the answer is not meant to be in the public domain so if anyone can help me then look me up in peoplefinder and mail me please.

ok I have some A6109A servers and have worked out how to upgrade them to dual processor machines, these all work fine now with 2 CPUs and also a memory upgrade which technically is not a supported configuration either.

However I also have a selection of A6109B machines aswell, however these do not work, I used the same process to upgrade these as I did the A6109A machines, but I guess there is a difference in the motherboards that is preventing me from upgrading them in the same way.

I do know about the difference in the dip switches and this is not the issue, or at least I don't think it is.

so if anyone can assist me in resolving this issue I would appreciate it.

I know this is a bit of a cagey description and there is not much info to work with but I do not think HP want it published as to how to upgrade machines without crossing HPs palm with silver.

There is enough info in here for someone who knows what I am talking about.

Regards

Steve
5 REPLIES 5
tkc
Esteemed Contributor
mits
Respected Contributor

There is no upgrade kit for dual processor that you can use with A400 server. A400 system firmware cannot support any dual processors.
Steve Luther
Occasional Contributor

Hi Mits,

Thank you for your reply but if you had read my message properly you would see that I HAVE successfully upgraded my A400-44 A6109A machines to dual processor machines.

what I need to know is what is the difference between the A6109A and A6109B systems that is preventing me from successfully upgrading them using the method that worked for the A6109A systems?

I know there is no upgrade kit or supported method of doing this but that does not mean it is not possible which is why I did not post up how I managed to complete the upgrade of the A6109A machines.

Regards

Steve

Andrew Rutter
Honored Contributor

hi,

All seems a little strange to me!

The A400 as i'm sure you know only has support for 1 processor, the A500 has the support for 2 processors. Also more memory and io slots available.

The A rev board is A5570-60001
The b rev board is A5570-60016

These can be used in either the A400 or A500. Just depends upon how there progrmamed by HP with ss_config

I cannot think of exactly why this works on on system and not the others. But are they definatley A400's not A500's.

you can check with the model command or at pdc. Also check what the current and previous model name is set at at PDC.

If it is possible with the A rev ones and not the B rev systems then it could be that they have fixed it in the B rev board to stop it?

Also are the PDC firmware levels the same?

Andy
tkc
Esteemed Contributor

I sent you a mail on the CPU switch settings on the motherboard. Hope that would be useful for you.