8335 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

E35 9000 Server

SOLVED
Go to solution
Michael Dreeling

E35 9000 Server

I have acquired an E35 9000 HP Server (Product No. A2938AW),it is about 6 or 7 years old, i wanted to find out how difficult it would be to get it up and running. Can i put Linux on it instead of HPUX? if so does it have a bootable cdrom? Another thing is that i have no keyboard or mouse or terminal. how do i work with this thing? i have an ADP II RS232 Full Modem which i'm told i can use to link it to a PC and then use Hyper Terminal.

it has the following cards in the back:

A2051-66521
A1703-60022
28606-60001

I'd appreciate any help you might be able to give, i'd like to be able to use this server for something useful. ;-)
Thanks
Michael
6 REPLIES 6
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: E35 9000 Server

Michael:

The earliest PA-RISC servers have proprietary HP devices attached to proprietary HP bus architectures. Documentation on these busses and devices will not become available soon since no one in HP is finding, "scrubbing", and releasing the docs. Machines in this category are the E, F, G, H, I class (aka Nova) and T500 series (Emerald) machines as well as some earlier, unlettered servers.

http://www.parisc-linux.org/hardware/supported.html

live free or die
harry
Live Free or Die
Patrick Wessel
Honored Contributor

Michael,

Your 'cards' are the following

A2051-66521 CPU board
A1703-60022 Multifunction IO
28606-60001 PSI

You need to connect your ADP to the multifunction IO card and connect the console to port 0 of the ADP. The PSI interface isn't crucial to operate the E-Class Server, you may want to remove it.

Harry,
Sorry for correcting you but the E-Class is not a Nova System, it belongs to the "Wright Brothers"
There is no good troubleshooting with bad data
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor

Patrick,

Not a problem, I was just past(e)ing from the pa-risc site.

live free or die
harry
Live Free or Die
Michael Dreeling

Thanks for the help guys, i gues the question thats on my mind now is how exactly i get into this machine from hyperterminal.

As i said I have an ADP II Breakout Board, do i :

(A) Connect from the Parallel Printer Port to port 0 on the Board and then use the com port on the board to go back to com1 on my pc?

(B) Connect from the APMUX16 port to the com port on the board and then go from port0 back to com1 on my pc?

if (B) is the case, what kind of cable do i need because i have'nt seen a parallel to com port type cable around the office.

Thanks again
Michael
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor

Michael,

THe E35 does not come with a Keyboard/mouse/monitor. It has a MDP serial connection for the console - see attached visio doc. Which requires some special stuff, that I can hopefully find later.

live free or die
harry
Live Free or Die
Patrick Wessel
Honored Contributor

Michael,

You need to connect the ADP panel with the cable 5062-3074 to the Multifunction IO card. You can than connect port 0 of the ADP with COM1 or COM2 of your PC. (The console connection is a serial connection)

There is no good troubleshooting with bad data