New Discussion юеВ

Re: Entry Class 9000 server for HPUX11.0

SOLVED
Go to solution
Mr C
Occasional Contributor

Entry Class 9000 server for HPUX11.0

Hello,

I have a slight problem. I need a server that is capable of supporting HPUX11.0. I recently selected the rp3440 but found out it does not support this requirement. Does anyone know of a similar type class server that can support HPUX11.0
Regards,

Chris
5 REPLIES 5
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi,

be aware that the support end for 11.00 was last year.

I would have a look for an used A- or L-Class server. They will run with 11.00.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor
Solution

As far as I know, HP no longer manufactures any new servers that would support HP-UX 11.0, so used servers are your best bet.

Also remember that 11.0 is now completely out of support, so new security patches will probably _not_ be provided.

The rp24xx series would be a nice alternative. Older models of the same hardware were known as A400 or A500. These are all 32/64 bit servers, and they can support also 11.11 and 11.23 if it becomes necessary. They also all have GSPs, so you can easily make their consoles remotely accessible through the network.

The smallest model of the A-class, A180, is not as good: it is 32-bit only, and it has an integrated "Secure Web Console" instead of a GSP, so it is not as flexible to manage remotely.

The significant question is: how much memory and CPU power do you need? With the rp24xx series/A-class, the maximum CPU/memory limits were significantly lower than in rp34xx series. If you need more than 8 GB of memory, you'll have to go to L-class/rp54xx series.
MK
Mr C
Occasional Contributor

Hi Matti,

In terms if CPU and memory:

HP rp3440 PA-8900 Dual Core 800MHz CPU
HP srvr rp34x0 4GB DDR mem quad

This is what I have on my rp3440 quote so a similar server that is capable of remote management is what I am looking for. I understand that 11.0 is going out of support but I have requirements that may need to be met. I am pushing for HPUX11i and have highlighted the risks of using 11.0

Many thanks for your help

Chris
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

Then a rp2470 with 2x 750 MHz single-core CPUs and 4 GB of memory would be just about right.

Remember that a rp2470 will have slower bus speeds than a rp3440, so it will not perform quite as well in I/O-heavy tasks.

With a rp2470 chassis, you'll have no possibility to add extra CPUs if your requirements grow. If there's a possibility that you'll need more power, I'd consider a rp5430 or a rp5470 instead.

A rp5470 will have sockets for 4 CPUs, and it can take up to 16 GB of memory. A rp5430 is a firmware-limited rp5470, which can be upgraded to a full rp5470 by buying a special lockword from HP.
MK
Mr C
Occasional Contributor

Matti,

Thanks very much for the information. I am new to UNIX tecnology so you have given me a steer in the right direction.

Much appreciated

Chris