Re: FCP driver not loaded

Rick Drummond
Occasional Advisor

FCP driver not loaded

I have the server:
HP-UX B.11.11 U 9000/800

I have the HBA:
0/9/0/0 fc HP Tachyon XL2 Fibre Channel Mass Storage Adapter

I have a 2405 Storageworks array attached and I can see the disks. But I want to set up hardware RAID. What utility should I use?
Thanks,

P.S. This thread has been moved from Disk to HP 9000. - Hp forum Moderator

12 REPLIES 12
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

It can't be done with what you have.

The DS2405 is a JBOD. There is no facility with it for any type of RAID.

lawrenzo
Trusted Contributor

Below is a link to a user guide for storage works:

http://media-server.amazon.com/media/mole/MANUAL000039329.pdf
hello
Rick Drummond
Occasional Advisor

I thought is was the controller that determined if you could use hardware RAID. I also have a server that has an A5856A RAID 4Si card and a . It's been a while but I seem to remember using irm to configure RAID 5 with a 2100 Disk System.
Thanks,
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

You can with the RAID controller in your other machine. The Tachyon is just a plain FC card. It has no built-in RAID functions.

melvyn burnard
Honored Contributor

the Tachyon FC cards are NOT designed to do hw raid. The Raid4si card was a specific card, with specific software, designed to alow you to do this. They are not the same thing.
My house is the bank's, my money the wife's, But my opinions belong to me, not HP!
Rick Drummond
Occasional Advisor

I see. So my only option is LVM (software RAID) unless I purchase a RAID controller; or perhaps replace the fiber on the 2405 with a SCSI that can connect to the built in that's in my server.
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

Unless you have purchased a RAID4si card separately for your machine, I am not aware of ANY HP9000 machines that come with the RAID4Si cards built-in. The on-board SCSI on HP9000 is just plain SCSI, NO RAID capability whatsoever.

With LVM, you can do mirroring OR striping OR pseudo-striped mirrors (see the lvcreate man page for more information on your options). LVM has NO options for RAID 5.

Another option for you may be Veritas Volume Manager. With the full-fledged version of VVM you CAN do RAID 0, 1, 10 and 5 I believe.

Rick Drummond
Occasional Advisor

There is a RAID 4si adapter in the server. I went with the fiber conroller because the 2405 was fiber. I would need connectivity from the built in 4si to the 2405. I can't find an LCC option for a SCSI (non-fiber) for the 2405. Is this a fiber only disk system?
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

As far as I know the DS2405 is Fibre only. I think there used to be an SC2405 that was a SCSI option but I can't find any info on it.

Another option for you may be an HVD10 disk system. The HP part number is A5616A and it can handle up to 10 x 73GB drives.