New Discussion юеВ

Re: Flat Panel Monitor Support on HP9000 rp5470 server

SOLVED
Go to solution
Abdul Salam H S_1
Frequent Advisor

Flat Panel Monitor Support on HP9000 rp5470 server

Hi,

Has anyone tested HP Flat Panel Monitor with Keyboard (Part No: J1470A) attached to PCI graphics card(Part No: A6150B) on HP9000 rp5470 server? The Monitor unit has built-in PS/2 KBD and PS/2 mouse, But there's no PS/2 port on the server side. Even if I connected additional USB KBD and USB mouse,it doesn't give any display.Seems that it is not supported.Is there some other graphics card with which I can make the Flat Panel Monitor working, so that I can save lots of rack space.

Has anyone used a Flat Panel Monitor on HP9000 servers?

Thanks and Best Regards,

Abdul Salam

5 REPLIES 5
sysadm_1
Valued Contributor

Da salame,
Engane work cheyyum nee alle connect cheythathu

..st..

Ted Buis
Honored Contributor
Solution

While the configuration is unsupported, it can be made to function with some limitations. First, it cannot show anything until the system is fully booted and CDE starts, so it cannot function as a boot console at all. Second, you need the A7782A to help convert the key codes from the PC keyboard to that of a HP-UX style keyboard as well as PS2 to USB.
It is usable if not perfect. We used it with a switch box to support multiple rp5470s. Third, the graphics card resolution must be set to 1024x768 as the graphics card default is 1280x1024 and the monitor can't go that high. If I remember correctly, this was complicated by a bug in /opt/graphics/common/bin/setmon which needed a patch, otherwise setting it in SAM wouldn't survive a reboot. There are some details of troubleshooting in the "Add Graphics" section of the installation manual.
Mom 6
Abdul Salam H S_1
Frequent Advisor

Hello,

This is exactly what I needed. Thanks a lot.The message I get on the monitor is "Video Mode not supported". But how can I change the graphics card resolution manually to be persistent across reboots? IS it possible to change it throught SAM temporarily for testing purpose? Is there some command/utility for this on the HP-UX side?

Thanks,
Abdul Salam
ddeblance
Frequent Advisor

What was your out come on this issue? I am trying the same congiuration and running into the same problems. I set up the monitor resolution only to have it back to default when I reboot. Also the mouse will not work. I have tried a usb mouse with no problem.

Ted Buis
Honored Contributor

2D PCI graphic card set- consists of one graphics card (H) A6150B and
one2 port USB card (H)
NOTE: The graphics card is restricted to a turbo slot only.
The USB card can use any slot

First, the rp5470 will not show anything on the graphics card until the system is booted and CDE is started. You will have to use the secure web console or a serial connection to manage the boot processes.
Second, the default setting on the graphics card is 1280x1024 and most of your KVM switches are only 1024x768. This cannot be done via "sam". There is a bug in setmon with the rp5470 that doesn't allow this to be set permanently, so I had an unsupported workaround that I will have to find for you if you want to proceed in doing this. You also have to stop X11/CDE to successfully run setmon, then restart it. Naturally, all of this has to be done via the console, either LAN or RS-232.
Third, you will need an A7782A PS/2 to USB converted assuming you have PS/2 cables from your PS/2 switch. The A7782A also helps with keycode mappings with are slighly different on a Windows keyboard typical of a TFT5600 or other HP Keyboard/Monitor.
It can be done, but it takes some work, isn't fully supported, and can't help you manage the boot processes, since the card activated until after boot and CDE loads.

1. Use the setmon utility to change the monitor type of the system.

/opt/graphics/common/bin/setmon

NOTE: When doing this, note the index value selected and choose NOT to
save the changes to stable storage.

2. Create a /etc/rc.config.d/monitor file with the following
contents:

#
# setmon is not able to update stable storage on L-class servers
#

# Run "setmon -r" to determine the index "s" value and
# update accordingly

SETMON_ARGS="-s 2"

3. Create a /usr/dt/config/dtrc.d/22_display file with the following
contents:

# !/usr/bin/ksh

#
# NAME: /usr/dt/config/dtrc.d/22_display (chmod 544)
# PURPOSE: Monitor type cannot be retained on L-class servers
# PRE: Requires /etc/rc.config.d/monitor file:
# ex: SETMON_ARGS="-s 2"
#

SETMON_CONFIG=/etc/rc.config.d/monitor
SETMON=/opt/graphics/common/bin/setmon

if [ -f $SETMON_CONFIG ] ; then
. $SETMON_CONFIG
fi

if [ "$SETMON_ARGS" != "" -a -x $SETMON ]; then
$SETMON -t $SETMON_ARGS
fi