108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Free memory slots and compatible memory on different models

SOLVED
Go to solution
Ben_40
Occasional Contributor

Free memory slots and compatible memory on different models

There are three parts to this questions.

First, when using cstm to examine the installed memory, the Memory Board Inventory has entries like 'EXT0 0a/0b'. Does this count as 1 memory slot, or 2?

Second, how many memory slots are there in a D250 and a K220 server?

Third, does HP supply this kind of info online anywhere? I tried searching the ITRC and on google.com but only found info on the forums for the D250.

Finally, I'm examining the option of taking memory from other servers and placing it into the D250 and K220. However, I'm guessing that the memory won't be compatible between models. How do I go about determining compatability? Or do I have no option but to call HP?

Thanks.

P.S. This thread has been moved from Servers > Planning to Servers > HP 9000 - Hp Forum Moderator

This space intentionally left blank.
6 REPLIES 6
Vincent Farrugia
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Free memory slots and compatible memory on different models

Hello,

0a/0b are two slots. Memory modules consist of 2 memory cards, so if you have a 128Mb memory module, it means you have 2x64Mb memory cards.

There are 12 memory slots in a D220 for a total of 6 memory modules. 8 memory slots for the K220.

You have to get appropriate K-series and D-series memory, otherwise they won't work. No other memory is compatible with these servers.

HTH,
Vince
Tape Drives RULE!!!
Stefan Farrelly
Honored Contributor

0a and 0b are 2 physical memory slots which each take a SIMM. But - the 2 together is called a memory module. So when you buy a memory module (say 512MB in size) it comes as 2x 256MB SIMMS (one each for 0a and 0b).

I dont believe the memory is compatible at all between servers. The only HP memory weve found which is swappable is;
L and N class memory (can be used in either)
Older 715 workstation memory and E class memory (the same).

You want an HP config guide which details memory exactly - if you email me I can email you one back (too big to post here as an attachment).

Cheers,

Stefan
Stefan_Farrelly@ipcmedia.com
Im from Palmerston North, New Zealand, but somehow ended up in London...
Nick Wickens
Respected Contributor

You might find this site usefull for getting information on HP parts.

http://partsurfer.hp.com/cgi-bin/spi/main
Hats ? We don't need no stinkin' hats !!
Sajid_1
Honored Contributor

1) 0a/0b - This is the 0th memory slot pairs. The memory modules should be installed in PAIRS only. So if you install something in 0a, you should install the same on 0b too. This is the lowest numbered (starting) slot.
2)You will get your answers from here: (check the D class and find out the memory upgrade manual):
http://docs.hp.com/hpux/hw/index.html#D-Class%20Server
3) The best option would be to call HP and get it replaced from them. The memory compatibilty can be determined from the models. For a complete matrix you have to look at the documents
learn unix ..
Sajid_1
Honored Contributor

Hi again:

This link will give you information about all models, workstations, memory upgrade procedures with pictures etc:
http://docs.hp.com/hpux/hw/index.html
learn unix ..
Alan Edwards
Frequent Advisor

Try going to www.kingston.com, and find your HP server. They will list the number of slots for that server and the size of modules it will take. Click on the memory part number, and there is a box you can click on to find out what systems use this part.

Alan
Klatu Barada Nikto