4019 Online
108790 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

GSP console mode and now no telnet connections

Peter Gillis
Super Advisor

GSP console mode and now no telnet connections

UX11i v1, RP2470 machine.
I was unable to get a GSP connection on this server. No changes have been made network wise, and have been able to easily gain gsp connections in the past. Pressed the GSP reset button on the 2470 server, gsp connection was gained. Used the co command to console mode and the screen just sat there.Able to use crtl-b to go back to gsp no problem. Also notice that I cannot ping telnet or ftp to unix server. Therefore this is now an urgent problem. Does anyone have any suggestions??

thanks, Maria
6 REPLIES 6
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

Re: GSP console mode and now no telnet connections

I don't remember if the rp2470's have TOC buttons on the back or not, but are you SURE you pressed the GSP reset button?

Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

Well, I just looked at the hardware manual for the rp24xx series machines. There are both GSP RESET and TOC buttons next to each other on the back of the machine.

(The manual I viewed is here:
http://docs.hp.com/en/hw.html#HP%209000%20rp2400%20Server%20%28A400%20and%20A500%29
and is the "rp24xx hardware manual: Customer Viewable" and I found the information on page 128)

What I suspect happened is that you accidentally pressed the TOC button which essentially crashed your machine.

Wait a few minutes for the machine to come back up and then check your /var/adm/crash directory and see if you have a fresh crash dump. You can also check your /etc/shutdownlog and see if it contains something about a TOC.

If so, then you did do a TOC.

Peter Gillis
Super Advisor

Patrick, thanks but I no I didnt hit TOC. I could only get to the gsp reset as it is through a tiny pin hole to press the button. (and a second tiny pin hole to reset the toc button).
I am able to get a gsp session to the machine, and the machine status lights etc are all in normal positions. If you have any other thoughts though much appreciated.
thanks, Maria
Mark Nieuwboer
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Mary,

What kind of errors do you get when you telnet or ftp to your server.
If something like "unable to fork" comes along you have a problem.
Then your cpu is running lose and you have no processes left to do anything. The only thing you can do then is to toc the system through the gsp.

grtz. Mark
Alastair Donaldson
Frequent Advisor

Have you tried connecting a terminal up to the serial connection on the back of the rp2470. That should give you the same GSP prompt as the telnet If it works either a remote access setting has been changed or the GSP port has gone bad.
Peter Gillis
Super Advisor

Thanks everyone for replies. issue resolved. The ultimate issue was a failing cpu. We ended up having to issue gsp reset toc - eventually system began reboot. Once completed, able to get both gsp and telnet (and ftp) as normal. On checking tombstone log found the failing cpu - which didnt like being told to force a gsp screen and decided to hang when asked to go back to telnet/console.
Once again thanks to everyone.
Maria