HPE 9000 and HPE e3000 Servers
1752786 Members
5744 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

GSP is ok .... But Nothing happens when I try CO from GSP.

pcsbokaro
Occasional Contributor

GSP is ok .... But Nothing happens when I try CO from GSP.

There is problem in console of one HP rp5470 server with hpux 11i.
We are unable to get login prompt , unable to write anything on console but at the same time we are able to access GSP command , even we can restart server through GSP Command . But when we are giving CO from GSP prompt for getting login , we are not getting login. But when we are checking console process by тАЬps тАУef|grep consoleтАЭ we are getting output like given this тАж.

root 1959 1 0 18:34:31 console 0:00 /usr/sbin/getty console console

When we kill the PID 1959 then login comes on screen but when we are writing anything on console , nothing is writing on console.

In other word we can say that GSP is ok... I can list all the comands, I can see the Help and so far and so on...

But when I try CO command and next "Enter" don't ask me the Login...

Nothing happens when I try COтАжтАж.

Step taken to solve the problem but problem still not solved :

1) We tried to get the write access back with the control Ecf key stroke, then typed co from gsp , then pressed enter key but not getting login on console.
2) We shutdown the server & restart but problem not solved.
3) We checked /etc/inittab file where for console port , below mentioned line mentioned.

cons:123456:respawn:/usr/sbin/getty console console # system console

4) We checked entry for console in /etc/gettydefs file & matched the setting.

console # B9600 SANE CLOCAL CS8 ISTRIP IXANY TAB3 HUPCL
# B9600 SANE CLOCAL CS8 ISTRIP IXANY TAB3 HUPCL
#Console Login: #console

5) We checked the local console port setting from gsp prompt & found following settings.
( Baud : 9600 bits/s , flow control : software , terminal type : vt100)

6) Changed the terminal with cable which was connected with server console port.

7) Checked console communication by following coomand.

#echo hello>/dev/console

By this command hello is coming on console.

Can you pl. help us ?

3 REPLIES 3
Stefan Stechemesser
Honored Contributor

Re: GSP is ok .... But Nothing happens when I try CO from GSP.

Hi,

you have to type first "co" and then CTRL-e cf.
But I don't think that this is the problem, because you normaly would get a message when typing a key that tells you exactly the above.
It could be that there is a problem in the GSP<->console interface communication. Have you tried to powercycle the whole server by unplugging the power cords ?
This would completely reset the GSP and PDH (Platform Dependent Hardware) Controllers.
Then I would recomend to check if you can stop the boot process at the BCH (when you get the "press any key within 10 seconds" message. If this works fine and if you can interact with BCH then you know that this is no hardware problem.
Otherwise it could be a bad (or bad seated) GSP card or (hopefully not) a defect system board. - Time to call HP support.

best regards

Stefan
Ron Irving
Trusted Contributor

Hi!!

Can you ping the system? Are any LEDs flashing? I agree that you should power it down, and up again, and wait for it to start POSTing, and stopping at PDC.

Also, can you please send the output of the 'he' command in the GSP? Just to see if your firmware is out of wack.

Thnx!!

Ron
Should have been an astronaut.
pcsbokaro
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Sir,

Problem solved by powercycle the
whole server by unplugging the power cords which complitely reset the GSP and PDH
(Platform Dependent Hardware Conrollers).We tested the server console & its working fine
now.

Thanks a lot for helping us !!!!!!