5642 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

GSP not responding

ITeam
Super Advisor

GSP not responding

Hi.

I have a situation with a GSP. We cannot connect to it at all.

After checking the syslog log file further, I have noticed it is reporting the following:

btlan3: NOTE: MII Link Status Not OK - Check Cable Connection to Hub/Switch at 0/0/0/0....

This could indicate a problem with the server's network card or with the switch port. Firstly, we tried connecting to another port on the switch - no change.

I have checked some of the network card's settings in lanadmin & found nothing obviously wrong. I thought the error could be reported if there was a speed mismatch between the switch port & the server NIC but this does not seem to be the case.

There are numerous get pid errors as I enabled verbose logging in the syslog file & found the following:

telnetd[5241]: getpid: peer died: Error 0

The lights on the switch & NIC are showing activity as would be expected.

The GSP shows a solid green light & flashing orange light on the NIC, but none on the switch, nor will it reply to a ping.

I think I need to confirm the GSP & NIC are both operating at 100Meg / full duplex (I presume they both need to be)?

Anything else I should check?

Many thanks.

David
10 REPLIES 10
Pedro Cirne
Esteemed Contributor

Re: GSP not responding

Hi,

Have you tried to reset the GSP from the OS:

#stty +resetGSP < /dev/GSPdiag1

Enjoy :)

Pedro
Raj D.
Honored Contributor

Hi Torrex ,

1. To check NIC is in 100Meg/full duplex mode ,
try , # lanadmin -x PPA_Number.

PPA Number can be found by # lanscan command.

2. GSP not responding : , have you tried reseting GSP :

# stty +resetFSP or
Ctrl B --> CM --> XD --> R

Cheers ,
Raj.

" If u think u can , If u think u cannot , - You are always Right . "
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

What kind of server you are using? This will be an important information.
BTW, the GSP is not related to the operating system, so the btlan3-message has nothing to do with it, unless the telnet connection from host to GSP have to use this NIC. But then its not a GSP problem, but a cable problem.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Raj D.
Honored Contributor

Hi Torex , its a typo mistake,

The command is :

# stty +resetGSP
Cheers,
Raj
Mel Burslan
Honored Contributor

First off, your telned peer died or MII Link Status not OK messages have nothing to do with GSP, at least directly. But in the case they are going thru the same switch, it may be experiencing a problem affectin both of them. But other than this possibility, GSP is a standalone processor and does not directly interact with HPUX operating system.

Upon this comment of yours :

==========
The GSP shows a solid green light & flashing orange light on the NIC, but none on the switch, nor will it reply to a ping.
==========

I am under the impression that, either the cable connecting the switch and the GSP port got severed or the switch port has died. No light on the switch port indicates, it is not getting any signal from the the other side. So there is a problem at the physical layer.

These kind of errors
==========
telnetd[5241]: getpid: peer died: Error 0
==========
usually are the indicators of a lan connection being cut off due to a reason that only your network admins can tell. Most likely reason is the firewall inactivity timeouts being set too low (if you have gone through a Sarbanes-Oxymoron (jk) audit recently, it may be a fallout of that one.

In short, you have a good, heart-to-heart talk with the networking team, waiting ahead of you in my opinion.

and for the previous responders :

Are you really reading the question/problem.

They do not have link light on the switch. how in the world a

stty +resetGSP < /dev/GSPdiag1

command help them ? Please try to be more precise and pay attention the problem before you answer the first thing that comes to your mind to be the first one to respond. Pretty please...

Hi David,

As suggested above have you tried by reseting the GSP and changing the ethernet cable?

HTH,
Devender
Impossible itself mentions "I m possible"
Raj D.
Honored Contributor

Torex ,

The btlan error "btlan3: NOTE: MII Link Status Not OK - Check Cable Connection to Hub/Switch at 0/0/0/0...." nothing to do with GSP as its isolated from hp-ux OS.

The GSP shows a solid green light & flashing orange light , that means the Interface is ok .
Check Cable connection , that seems disconnected , or the switch port may be the culprit.

Cheers,

Cheers,
Raj.
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Did your configuration work befor? If you set up a new configuration, don't assume the GSP operating at 100FD. Check it using a serial console (LS command). Orange lights often indicates only 10! This depends on the model. As you know, a fixed 10 to a fixed 100 connection can't work.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!