New Discussion юеВ

Re: GSP service processor and mozilla

SOLVED
Go to solution
Leif Halvarsson_2
Honored Contributor

GSP service processor and mozilla

Hi,
I have no problem to connect to the service processor with IE (from a PC) but with mozilla from a HP-UX workstation I get a terminal window but no login prompt. The workstation OS is HP-UX 11i September 2003 with the bundled mozilla 1.2.1.

Is there anyone who has used mozilla for connecting to the GSP ?
9 REPLIES 9
Cheryl Griffin
Honored Contributor

According to the Supported Web Browsers by Platform list for Secure Web Console, mozilla is not a supported browser yet.

Progammatically it simply will not work.
http://www.docs.hp.com/hpux/onlinedocs/hw/swc/secureweb/browsers.htm
"Downtime is a Crime."
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Cheryl,

I find HP's position on supported browsers for the HP-UX platform very ambiguous, confusing and disappointing. When, if ever, will there be some sort of consensus?

Pete

Pete
Leif Halvarsson_2
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Cheryl,

I did not find any date in the document but it seems to be rather old as it don't say anything about what is supported in HP-UX 11i or W2000/W2003. I think the versions listed in the document is obsolete.

I tested Netscape on HP-UX and Linux too, still the same problem.
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

The decision to support only IE and limited versions of IE was made a long time ago and will probably never be changed. Personally, I would rather use telnet instead of a fancy GUI for the GSP. The GUI adds no value and wastes network bandwidth. The network traffic is especially noticeable over a slow modem connection, while telnet is faster than I can read, even at 19K baud.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
MarkSyder
Honored Contributor

Hi Leif,

I recently installed Mozilla and had the same problem.

I eventually resolved it by setting up a manual proxy. Unfortunately, there is no point in my giving you the settings I used unless you work for the same company as me!

I would suggest you either compare proxy settings with a working IE or consult your networking people to check what the proxy settings should be.

Mark Syder (like the drink but spelt different)
The triumph of evil requires only that good men do nothing
Leif Halvarsson_2
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Bill,

I tried telnet too, it works but I got problem with "graphic" applications (terminal graphics), for example ignite or swinstall (the terminal version). Do you have any idea about how the terminal window should be configured.
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor
Solution

This is a common problem because the GSP overrides the characteristics of your terminal. In the GSP (logged in as administrator), you can use the CA command to set the terminal emulation. This has NOTHING to do with your terminal or with HP-UX but interferes with both! The key is that the GSP allows either an HP terminal or a VT100 style and due to some special code in tset and ttytype, the terminal (or emulator) is never queried. Thus, if you are using an HP terminal emulator such as Reflection for HP or QCterm but the GSP is set to VT100, then ttytype reports TERM=vt100 and your terminal is never queried. This ONLY on the GSP port.

So pick an emulator. If you want to use only HP terminals or emulators for the GSP, then login to the GSP, use the CA command to set hpterm as the emulation mode and all will work OK. Same for vt100 if your emulator is a vt100 lookalike. NOTE: vt100 is a very dumb terminal and if you need to have 'real' softkey support, set hpterm and use an HP terminal (or emulator). HP terminals work very well with Glance, swinstall, SAM, etc.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Leif Halvarsson_2
Honored Contributor

Hi,
Thank you Bill. I changed the
"Local Console Serial Port Terminal Type"
to "Vt100" and now it works, both with the dtterm window from HP-UX and the command window from a PC. I must say that the GSP configuration is rather confusing, I would not expect the "Local Console Serial Port" to be the LAN console.

Perhaps not the solution I asked for in my first question but anyway, it works !
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Yes, the title is very confusing. The LAN port, the serial console port and the remote modem port are all the same thing to the GSP--which is the reason given for the single terminal ID = vt100 or hpterm. All of these ports go into one bucket and with multiple connections active at the same time, only one has write access (keyboard enabled) while the other ports are read-only (they echo what's happening on all console ports).

Bill Hassell, sysadmin