1753797 Members
7269 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: GSP/tty driver sanity check

Jeff_Traigle
Honored Contributor

GSP/tty driver sanity check

Ok, I'm about convinced this is a GSP board failure, but would appreciate some input as a sanity check because of the possibly coincidental timing of the failure...

HP replaced a tape drive on this rp2430. The CE was apparently on the phone for 3 hours trying to make it work and he still had to return the next day for some reason. Anyway, since this was done, our support staff have been unable to dial into the system... modem answers, but never gives the login prompt. I couldn't think of much of anything he would have done to get a tape drive working that would affect a modem on the GSP, but...

Anyway, the obvious things at the OS level checked out and hadn't changed... inittab is correct, tty device file existed with correct permissions, etc.

However, things aren't behaving in general... our support staff deleted the device file and tried recreating it with "insf -e", but no new device file was created. I tried manually creating it with "mksf -d asio0 -m 0x000200 /dev/tty0p2", but it still won't work. "ioscan -funC tty" looks normal... devices are CLAIMED and crrect device drivers show. Trying to do lssf on any of the tty device files, however, results in an error stating it doesn't know how to handle device driver func0. (On a functioning system, it returns the asio0 driver info.)

I thought perhaps the CE had done something to the kernel while dinking around with the tape drive issue, but vmunix is dated May 2002 so it doesn't look like anything at the kernel level should be at fault. The GSP firmware is old (C.02.02), but the patches are fine for that revision level. (According to the GSP firmware update instructions, the latest patches shouldn't be on a system with GSP firmware older than C.02.05.)

We even had the customer cycle power on the system a couple of weeks ago, thinking that possibly a hardware scan at boot might help, but it didn't.

So, have I missed checking anything from anyone else's experiences before I have our support staff call HP to replace the GSP?
--
Jeff Traigle
5 REPLIES 5
RAC_1
Honored Contributor

Can you connect onto GSP? If yes, can you modem status through it? (MS)

Anil

There is no substitute to HARDWORK
Shaikh Imran
Honored Contributor

Hi,
Are you able to get into the GSP through console if yes then i don't think it's a gsp card failure.The configuration is to be checked next.
Have you configured GSP to be accessed via remote (Dialing) or local LAN only ?
How are you trying to connect from the client ?
Are you using cu -l /dev/tty0p2 or any other command ?

Regards,

I'll sleep when i am dead.
Jeff_Traigle
Honored Contributor

The customer is able to access the system through the master console.

The GSP was configured for LAN and remote access. Now that I think about it, I don't think we've double-checked this system to be sure it's still configured properly. I'll have our support person work with the customer to do this.

We're connecting from a PC using a terminal emulator... but I know that end isn't the problem because this support person dials into other customers' systems just fine.
--
Jeff Traigle
Jeff_Traigle
Honored Contributor

Took a while to get the info...

Before dialing in, CTS showed 1, all other indicators showed 0. After connection made, CTS, DSR, and DCD are 1 and the others are 0.

I had them check the serial configurations... flow control settings were set to software instead of hardware. Not sure why they would want to set it to software... for all the years I used modems, I always used hardware flow control as far as I can recall.
--
Jeff Traigle
Jeff_Traigle
Honored Contributor

In dinking around with it some more, I went into SAM and did an Add Modem. It created /dev/ttyd1p2 (minor number 0x010212) as the device file... every other rp2430 we have has /dev/tty0p2 as the modem port on the GSP. (minor number 0x00200, which they actually mv to /dev/tty00 for historical script reasons.) What would cause the device file to be created differently on this system?
--
Jeff Traigle