108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

GSP vs. iLO

SOLVED
Go to solution
quixalogical
Advisor

GSP vs. iLO

GSP vs. iLO what are the differences between the two? Is one an older version of the other, or is GSP the physical port/hardware and iLO is the application/software? I realize this may be a stupid question, however I am but a humble physical security guy shoved into the unix admin realm. Thanks again.
4 REPLIES 4
Roberto Arias
Valued Contributor

Re: GSP vs. iLO

Hi all:

The GSP is "Guardian Service Process" or Lan Console of system 9000 and integrity.

iLO is the same that GSP ( console Remote ) of blade system's. this is other type of servers diferent of 9000

best regards
The man is your friend
quixalogical
Advisor

OK essentially GSP and iLO are the same thing just on different hardware platforms. I have some in-house (old) documentation that references GSP and the HP User Service Guide for HP 9000 rp3440 dated 2007 references iLO. If the two are interchangable than I will move forward. Thanks again.
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Basically the same, but different names and functionality over time:

SP - service processor
AP - access port (?)
GSP - guardian service processor
MP - management processor
followed by
iLO - integrated lights out
and
iLO2.

More differences between several GSP's and iLO's ... it depends - but all are made for remote support.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor
Solution

GSP (Guardian Service Processor) is the predecessor of MP (Management Processor).
I think the GSP was the first to include a dedicated LAN interface: the older SP and AP allowed only serial and/or modem connections, as I recall.

The name "iLO" originated with Compaq's PC servers and has a fairly long history there. After the Compaq-HP merger, it became the standard buzzword for a certain type of hardware-level remote control functionality with both PC and Unix servers.

The MPs of some server models were actually relabeled as iLO with a firmware upgrade.

Many GSPs can handle only telnet (unencrypted). If security is required, they should be connected to a protected network segment, which only the sysadmins can access.

The MPs and iLOs are newer, and usually can encrypt the connection with HTTPS and/or SSH if proper licensing has been obtained (the SSH functionality is often an optional extra, which is unlocked with a special code).

MK
MK