108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP 700/96 terminal displays "02 error" at switch on

SOLVED
Go to solution
George_206
Frequent Advisor

HP 700/96 terminal displays "02 error" at switch on

I am using an HP 700/96 terminal as console at an HP9000 server. When I switch on the terminal it displays at the bottom line "02 error" and at the rest of the screen it displays 3 "!" at some positions. I tried to reset it but it does not respond to anything.
Could anybody help me locate the problem ?
Thank you.
George.
6 REPLIES 6
melvyn burnard
Honored Contributor

Have you tried the hard reset?
Hold D key down while powering on, for about 15-20 seconds (you may hear a beep after 5-10 seconds)
If that doesnot help, your unit is faulty and will need fixing/replacing.
If I recall these terminals had a single board in them, that was not field repairable
My house is the bank's, my money the wife's, But my opinions belong to me, not HP!
Kent Ostby
Honored Contributor

George --

Have you tried doing the reset as follows:

Power down the terminal
Hold down the "d" key and power the terminal back up while holding down the "d" key.

After about 10 seconds release the "d" key.

If this doesn't fix it, you may need to replace the console.

"Well, actually, she is a rocket scientist" -- Steve Martin in "Roxanne"
George_206
Frequent Advisor

Do you think that I could connect the RS232 cable to a PC serial port and use Hyperterminal instead as a console till I solve the problem ?
melvyn burnard
Honored Contributor
Solution

Yes, just make sure itr is set for 8 bits, 9600 baud, no parity, and it should be ok. You may need to play with the terminal emulation a bit tho.
My house is the bank's, my money the wife's, But my opinions belong to me, not HP!
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

This is a terminal selftest error. There is only one board inside so fixing it requires replacing the board. But because they are so inexpensive (and a real pain to open plus high voltage common to any CRT display device), the fix is to simply replace the terminal. You can usually find a unit on eBay for less than $100.

Yes, you can replace the terminal with a PC running Hyperterminal. The most common problem is finding the correct serial cable. Since you are not connecting a computer to a modem (a straight-through cable), you need a crossover or null-modem cable to connect two computers together.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
George_206
Frequent Advisor

Thank you very much. I will use a PC till I get a new terminal.

George.