1753905 Members
10178 Online
108810 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP 9000 800/G40 Fault Light

Bert Klauninger

HP 9000 800/G40 Fault Light

Hello,

I am trying to activate an old HP 9000 800/G4 server. When I switch it on, it just goes into a state where the first (most left) light on the front side is glowing green and the second one is orange. As the manual says, this is the "Fault light", but it doesn't say anything about further diagnose possibilities. The console terminal (connected to MUX 0) cannot establish a connection (terminal settings are ok).

I've removed hard disks, cd-rom, tape drive, memory modules and everything else one by one without effect.

Does anyone know by chance what can be the reason and how to get a more detailed error diagnosis?

Best regards
Bert
6 REPLIES 6
Marcel Burggraeve
Trusted Contributor

If memory serves me right there should be selftest information at the bottom left of the console during the selftest ( including the C263 which can take 'forever'and make customers nervous because of it after a memory upgrade ;-)
Is the mux connection done with a cable that has mini din on one side and serial on the other ?
Or is it with a cable going to a mux panel and a serial cable from the panel to the console ?
If it's the latter one it's important to have the right combination of cables and panel to make it works.
Bert Klauninger

The terminal is connected to MUX 0 of panel 0. Both cables used are ok - I even checked the pin-out given in the 700/96 terminal manual and I am pretty suer I am using correct cables.

The terminal is working fine. I re-checked all terminal settings and they appear to be ok (9600 baud, 0'S/7, Xon/Xoff). However I do get no output from the computer on my terminal. It just constantly shows me the green light (power) and the orange light (fault?) on the front panel. The rear LEDs are in a correct state (Term power light on, everything else off), the ADP panel also shows that it's on.

What does this "fault" light mean anyway?

Thank you and best regards
Bert
Sindhia Naidu
Advisor

Is the server still operational with fault LED?
There are a number of circumstances that the fault LED would come on.
Do you have console post outputs?
Bert Klauninger

Dear Sindhia Naidu,

no - the server is not operational. I am trying to boot it up for the first time since years. I don't get any console output (cables and terminal settings ARE correct), no lights on the rear of the server either (except term power light which should be ok) - only LED 1 (power) and LED 2 (fault) on the front panel. So I suppose, there is no other error diagnosis possible and I'll just have to dump that thing? ;)

Best
Bert
Mike Shilladay
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Bert,

The Green light indicate that the system has passed the self tests. The orange light in additon to that indicates that there is not OS present. This can be because of:

1) That the Autoboot is set to off

or

2) That the autoboot is set to on, but it cannot find the OS.

As for the console try a hard reset on the Console, power off the console press and hold 'd', then power on the console, release the 'd' key once the message "default configs used, press return to clear" system defaults will be restored and you should manage to get some information on the screen as to the status of the server.

If the console does not responde after this check the connectors for damaged/bent pins. The large MUX connector is very easily damaged.

Hope that helps,

Mike.
Sindhia Naidu
Advisor

Hi Bert,

I guess you don't have another Mux to text or play with.

This leaves you with little choice?

Is this server critical. It might break your heart, but recently I threw away a G40 with 768Mb of memory and disks. (it was running)