108797 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP 9000/827S

SOLVED
Go to solution
Prent Patrick
Advisor

HP 9000/827S

I have been handed an HP 9000/827S and asked to bring it up on the current Ethernet network. I have a 10base2 to 10baseT media converter, so network connectivity should not be an issue. I also have a MUX panel. What I don't have is a terminal, and I doubt I'll be able to talk anyone into buying one.

Question: is there a way for me to connect the output of the MUX panel port # 0 directly into the serial port of a PC, and then use Hyperterminal (or equivalent) to monitor the server?

Once the server is running and I can get an IP address, subnet mask, etc on it, I can just telnet in. I only need terminal connectivity to monitor the server on inital boot, etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Prent
26 REPLIES 26
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor
Solution

Yes it is possible.

I am doing just that with an E55.

I am using an HP cable that has "24542" on the 9 pin connectors on each end. I am then using a 9pin male to 25pin male Null Modem adapter to plug into the mux panel.

I have Hypterterminal set for 9600 baud, 8 data bits, no parits, 1 stop bit (9600 8-N-1 at the bottom of the Hyperterminal window).

Hopefully that is what you need.
Stan Sieler
Respected Contributor

Hi,
Just in case...the 8x7 line has (IIRC)
two network connectors on the back...
an AUI and a 10-base-2. There's a switch
inside, on that card, which controls
which one is active. The chances are that
the AUI is the currently active one.

Once you get a cable/MUX-box you probably
want an HP terminal emulator for your PC.
You can get a free one, qcterm, at
http://www.aics-research.com/qcterm/index.html
Prent Patrick
Advisor

Stan,

Thanks for the tip about the AUI port. Actually, I'm certain that the 10base2 (thinnet) port is active. This is the port that was being used for network connectivity when the server was previosuly active.

Thanks again!
Prent
Prent Patrick
Advisor

Patrick,

Thanks for the info, that's great! Question: would it be possible to just use the 25/9 null modem cable directly from the MUX to the PC? Do you use 2 cables for extra "reach" or because there is another need?

Thanks,
Prent
Ted Buis
Honored Contributor

It is better with Reflections so that the pc can mimic an HP Terminal. Available from WRQ or now even HP.
Mom 6
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

Prent,

You could try using the 9-25 null modem cable.

The only reason I am using the cable and adapter is because that's all I had to work with. :) No reason other than availability.
Prent Patrick
Advisor

Ted,

When you say "it" is better for Reflections, what exactly do you mean? Using 2 cables as suggested? Please clarify.

Thanks,
Prent
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

I think he is talking about using WRQ's Reflection terminal emulation software for the console instead of Hyperterm. He is probably correct. Reflection probably is better, but it is most definitely NOT free.

Hyperterm will work though. Just be sure it is set to vt100 emulation and make sure your TERM environment variable is set to vt100 as well.
Ted Buis
Honored Contributor

Yes, I was talking about WRQ's Reflections. It is better to use with 'sam', 'swinstall', 'glance' and other applications that are screen based applications using soft keys. If you use vt100 on the Hyperterminal, you need to make sure that the TERM variable is equal to vt100. After login, execute: TERM=vt100 ; export TERM
Mom 6