108784 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP 9000/827S

SOLVED
Go to solution
Prent Patrick
Advisor

Gotcha...I have a terminal emulator called NetTerm that we use for other servers, might this work?

I was advised earlier in the thread that I should check to make sure that the 10base2 (thinnet) port, and not the AUI port, was active on the 802.3 LAN card.

I pulled the card. The part # is 28640-60001. The only "switch" I could find is a triple row of 8 jumpers near the front of the card. The jumpers are marked "INT" and "EXT." I'm not sure if the pins are numbered 1-2-3 from front to rear, but it appears that shorting all the 2-3 pins sets "INT" and shorting all the 1-2 pins sets "EXT." Is this the switch I was advised about earlier that determines the port that the card uses? If so, which setting makes the 10base2 port active? I have no manuals for any of the cards, the MUX, the server...nothing.

Thanks,
Prent
Stan Sieler
Respected Contributor

Ah yes, labelled by a person who probably
got promoted to something higher ... the
Peter Principle at work :)

"INT" is documented as "Thin LAN" (aka, coax), "EXT" is documented as "Thick LAN"
(aka the AUI connector).

As to terminal emulators ... if you want
to run an HP terminal emulator (and you
probably do want to do that), there are
really only two good choices: Reflection
from Walker, Richer, and Quinn (yes, it *is*
singular, no trailing "s"!), or QCTerm
from AICS (see prior post). QCTerm lacks
some of the scripting and uploading/download
and NS/VT protocol, but supports serial
and Telnet ... and QCTerm is free!
Prent Patrick
Advisor

Stan,

Thanks for helping me decipher the notation on that LAN card. I think it's jumpered for INT, but I'll check again to make sure.

Checked...yep, it's jumpered for INT.

Just FYI, I have the output of the Thinnet/10base2 port on the server's LAN card connected to a 10base2/10baseT media converter. Then I ran a CAT5 crossover cable from the 10baseT port on the media converter into an old 10mbps hub. The 10baseT side links up nicely.

When I power up the server, I never get any activity lights on the 10base2 side of the media converter. Also, the amber light on the LAN card blinks steadily. If I'm correctly reading what it says on the card, this means that I've got some sort of failure. However, is it the card or the slot? Can I move the card to another slot to see if still fails?

One more thing...this server was a wee bit before my time (I officially started in IT in 1994)...it seems to take this jewel about 5 minutes to boot (based on audible hard drive activity). Is that normal?

Thanks,
Prent
Stan Sieler
Respected Contributor

Our 8x7 computers don't have crossover
cables, I think.

> failure. However, is it the card or the
> slot? Can I move the card to another
> slot to see if still fails?

you could probably move it to another
slot, but I doubt that would help much.

Don't know much about the LEDs, sorry.

comp.sys.hp.hpux is a good place to post
questions about 9000s.

> it seems to take this jewel about 5
> minutes to boot

Not too suprising ... the memory test
portion can be lengthy (up to 30 minutes
if you have 720 MB on it ... it scales
with the amount of memory) And, the 827
is slow.

Prent Patrick
Advisor

Stan,

Thanks again.

According to what's written on the card, if the light stays on constantly, that means the self-test failed. If the light flashes, that means there is an xcvr/net failure. It's flashing.

I'm still trying to hunt up a null modem cable so I can connect a terminal session and see what's going on.

Prent
Prent Patrick
Advisor

I downloaded QCTerm and installed the software. I connected from COM1 on my PC to port #0 on the MUX. I tried via QCTerm, and Hyperterminal (set to VT100, 8-N-1, 9600 baud, etc). However, when I connect, this is what I get on my screen:

JCCjJC├Е ├Е ├Е ├Л ├Г ├Г ├Е ├Е ├Г ├Г ├Г ├В ├Е ├В ├Е ├Е ├В ├Е ├Л ├Г ├Г ├Е ├Е ├Г ├Г ├Г ├В ├Е ├Г ├Г ├Г ├Е ├Е ├Г ├Г ├Г j├Е ├Е ├Е ├В ├Е ├Е ├В ├Е ├В ├Е ├Е ├В ├Л ├Г ├Е ├Е ├В ├Е ├В ├Е ├Е ├В ├Е ├В ├Е ├Е ├В ├Е ├В ├Е ├Е ├В ├Е ├В ├Е ├Е M
C├Е ├Е ├В ├Е ├Е ├Е ├Е ├В ├Е ├Е ├В ├Е ├В ├В ├Е ├В ├Е ├В ├Е ├Е ├Е ├Е ├В ├Е ├Е ├В ├Е ├В ├Е ├Е ├В ├Е ├В ├Е ├Е MC├Е ├Л ├Е ├Е ├Е ├Е ├Л ├Е ├Е ├Л ├Е ├Л ├Е ├В ├Л ├Е ├Л ├Е ├Е ├Е ├Е ├Л ├Е ├Е ├Л ├Е ├Л ├Г ├Г ├В ├Е ├Л ├Е ├Е ├Л j├Е ├Л ├Е ├Е ├Е ├Е
├Л ├Е ├Е ├Л ├Е ├Л ├Е ├Л ├Л ├Е ├Л ├Е ├Е ├Е ├Е ├Л ├Е ├Е ├Л ├Е ├Л ├Е ├Л ├Е ├Е ├Л ├Е ├Е ├Л j├Е ├В ├Е ├Е ├В ├Е ├В ├Е ├Е ├В ├Е ├В ├Е ├Л ├В ├Е ├В ├Е ├Е ├В ├Е ├В ├Е ├Е ├В ├Е ├В ├Е ├Л ├Е ├Е ├В ├Е ├Е MC├Л ├Г ├Г ├Е ├Е ├Г ├Г ├Г ├В ├Е ├В ├Е ├Е ├В
├Е ├Л ├Г ├Г ├Е ├Е ├Г ├Г ├Г ├В ├Е ├В ├Е ├Е ├В ├Е ├Г ├Г ├Г jJCj├Е ├Е ├Е
Stan Sieler
Respected Contributor

Try 9600 baud, 8-bit, no parity
Stan Sieler
Respected Contributor

oops...I missed your note about 9600 baud :)

Time for comp.sys.hp.hpux, perhaps?

Prent Patrick
Advisor

Okay...thanks
Prent Patrick
Advisor

Just in case anyone is interested...
I had to change the terminal
settings as follows:

19200 baud