1751911 Members
4907 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP 9000 E-Series

Seth Baker
Occasional Advisor

HP 9000 E-Series

Im trying to resurrect an old HP-9000 E25 server and I can't seem to find any information or system specs on it. Also, I am going to need to install HP-UX and I'll need to find out which version my relic will need to run. If anyone can give me some info, would be greatly apprectiated!!

Thanks
7 REPLIES 7
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

The E-series have been out of support for quite a while. I've got a couple that I still use for some semi-non-critical processes. They still work well.

I am running HP-UX 11.11 on those machines. It is *NOT OFFICIALLY SUPPORTED BY HP* but it will run.

You can try starting here for docs on the E-series:
http://www2.itrc.hp.com/service/iv/node.do?node=prodITRC%2FWW_Start%2FN1%7C11%7C4

I'm not sure how much is there though.
Jeff Schussele
Honored Contributor

Hi Seth,

Well the E series is so old that the HW manuals are no longer available on the docs.hp.com website. Also I believe it was phased out well before 11.0 was introduced so I'd say that 10.2 is probably the most current OS that could be run on it - and even that isn't supported anymore.
Frankly, the oldest system I would even consider running would be K class servers & they can be had for only several hundred dollars on e-bay nowadays - not including shipping of course.

My 2 cents,
Jeff
PERSEVERANCE -- Remember, whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger!
melvyn burnard
Honored Contributor

These are reall old servers, 32bit only.
They will run 10.20 and 11.00, but not 11.11 onwards
My house is the bank's, my money the wife's, But my opinions belong to me, not HP!
Jesse Dougherty
Honored Contributor

Here is some systems specs taken from an older HP 9000 Server Configuration Guide:

A2937AW E25
Estimated Transactions per minute: 280
1 x 48MHz PA-RISC 7100LC CPU w/ 64MB Cache
Floating Point Coprocessor
512MB Maximum Memory
Maximum of 2 Internal Disk Drives
Maximum of 2 Internal Media Drives
4 Single High HP-PB Expansion I/O slots
SE Port
Parallel Port
EtherTwist Port
Console Port
Remote Management Port

Earliest HP-UX Revision supported 9.04
Software Tire: 1

Hope this helps

Jesse
Cypress Tech
curt larson_1
Honored Contributor

here is a helpful link:
http://www.openpa.net/systems/e-class.html

some issues you might run into is lack of memory and disc space.

your going to want to have at least 6G and 8G would be my recomended minimum for 11.x

and if you don't have at least 256M of memory your going to be running pretty slow just for the OS and you'll need to more for whatever application your going to run
Ranjith_5
Honored Contributor

Seth Baker
Occasional Advisor

thanks for the input everyone! A great help!