4376 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP 9000 F20 with Terminal HP 700 / 60

Dr. Hans Gipper
Occasional Contributor

HP 9000 F20 with Terminal HP 700 / 60

The HP 9000 is running under HP-UX. My question is:
(1)can I have more than 1 session (login)tu run more than 1 Application Program?
(2) has the HP 700 / 60 only a serial interface or is there an additional network adapter
(3) does anyone know the terminal emulation "Reflection R2+" which was uses about 1994 under DOS? If yes, was it possible with that emulation, to have more than 1 session with the HP 9000?
5 REPLIES 5
Ted Buis
Honored Contributor

I think you may have a very old machine. What version of HP-UX is loaded (uname -a)? Long ago, HP-UX was licensed by users, so if you had two users, one for the network and one for the console, you had allocated all your licenses.
Mom 6
Michael Tully
Honored Contributor

From what I remember with the old F series:

Console was cabled direct to an mux board that had at least 8 ports. Depending on the operating system version you may be able to use the TSM (terminal session manager) which will allow you to have three actual terminal sessions that you can switch to and from. You can try an add an additional terminal if you have one. I am fairly sure that these had a network interface which was the old ethernet loop. So if it is connected to a network you should be able to 'telnet' to the system. Yes a terminal emulator should work, depending on how good it is. The way HPUX licensing works on connection type:

Console = one
telnet = two
modem = three

In the old days, there were different numbers of licenses, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64 and unlimited. These were on a sliding cost scale.

Anyone for a Mutiny ?
Dr. Hans Gipper
Occasional Contributor

to Chris Watson
Thank You for the interesting Information. But the Information does not help me so much, because the function does also depend on the terminal in use. Unfortunately I can not find any information, if it works with the HP700/60
Hans
Dr. Hans Gipper
Occasional Contributor

to Ted Buis,
the Operation System is HP-UX 9.0, The machine is from 1994 and has 8 licenses.
If I run the system with a) the operator Console and a terminal Emulation running under Win98, than I can run more than 1 sesson. Each session with a separate login.
My Question ist, could I run also more than one session with the terminal HP 700/60. I can not test it, because I have not this Type of terminal.