1752685 Members
5332 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP 9000 L Series

Naeem Khokhar
Occasional Contributor

HP 9000 L Series

I need to resurrect HP 9000 L Series system.
System was accessible via terminal but someone changed it to super user and made some unknown changes and rebooted the system now I can not telnet or get in via serial using terminal (no monitor with this system) Can someone help me resolve this issue.
Thanks
Naeem
12 REPLIES 12
Christopher Caldwell
Honored Contributor

Re: HP 9000 L Series

If you're locked out, crash the system (TOC or power off).

Reboot (power on).

Interrupt the boot sequence.

Boot in single user mode. (It probably won't require a password). Change the password for root.

You're back in.

Boot to your normal run level.
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Single user mode isn't going to help much with no monitor!

Do you have another system you could temporarily borrow a monitor from?

Pete

Pete
Marco Santerre
Honored Contributor

You don't have many choices but to make your server go down one way or another and then reboot that server in single-user mode in order to change the root password so you can acquire the super-user again.

Now on the other hand, I know it's probably not my place to say this, but I would be concerned as to the reasons why such a thing happened and would certainly look into it to make sure it doesn't happen again.
Cooperation is doing with a smile what you have to do anyhow.
Naeem Khokhar
Occasional Contributor

Thanks to all of you for your help and suggestions.
Christopher:

I can not interrupt during boot as I do not have a monitor attached or video card installed in L-Series. I do have other 9000 (K and D class ) but they all use proprietary cards that can not be used for L-series.

I am in the process of looking on HP's website for the possibility of buying a video card for l-series.

Pete:
please see my answer above, you are right!

Marco:
The system I am working on is a test system and it is expected to have problems like this.

Looks like I have to buy a permanent solution i-e video card and monitor.

Thanks again for all you help, any other suggestion will be appreciated.

Naeem
Ross Zubritski
Trusted Contributor

You don't have an old "green screen" laying around? No need for expensive graphics cards and monitors, this is not M$soft.

Regards,

RZ
Tim D Fulford
Honored Contributor

I once was able to get my PC to run as a vt100 terminal via a serial port to my laptop. I connected it directly to the console port. This was quite some time ago using windows98!! I also do remeber it was a pain to set-up & I needed a special 9-pin adaptor.

I THINK the L-Class has an built-in web console, this might work, but again it could be difficult.

Rock, hard place....

Tim
-
Naeem Khokhar
Occasional Contributor

I do not have old green monitor.

I have tried connecting to the computer via serial bust using VT100 with no luck.

I do not know anything about web console how dows it work?

thanks guys

Naeem
Michael Duthie
Trusted Contributor

Naeem,

The Console & console cable from your D & K with work in the L class. Read the detail port the CORE IO on the rear of the L class to locate the console port.
Michael Duthie
Trusted Contributor

Look for a cable with 3 pin connectoers, one is marked console.

Attach your D or K console cable to it.