HPE 9000 and HPE e3000 Servers
1751775 Members
4586 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP 9000 servers _ how to attach to a KVM switch instead of individual VT100 consoles

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jason Naren

HP 9000 servers _ how to attach to a KVM switch instead of individual VT100 consoles

Hi All

We have 7 HP 9000 servers that are connected to individual consoles in our data center. We would like to consolidate them onto one KVM switch. We have a Raritan Dominion KX II-132 KVM we would like to use. Do I just need the following product ( 373035-B21) and away we go or do I need something else?

Thanks
Jason
10 REPLIES 10
Michael Steele_2
Honored Contributor

Re: HP 9000 servers _ how to attach to a KVM switch instead of individual VT100 consoles

Hi

From the KVM definition: "...Some types of active KVM switches do not emit signals that exactly match the physical keyboard, monitor, and mouse, which can result in unwanted behavior of the controlled machine(s)...."

I can't stress serial channel compatibility enough, and would refer you back to the manufacturer, who should be able to tell you what is compatible with his products.

KVM is not a tech. typically seen on HP boxes, as the internet and telnet have security flaws. What you typically see are remote console servers, often times using serial connections in order to stay off of the network.

See remote console servers.
Support Fatherhood - Stop Family Law
Steven E. Protter
Exalted Contributor

Shalom Jason,

Honestly, you hook them up and hope they work. When they do not, you go to other options.

I'd need to know what model HP-9000 system we are talking about. Most of the ones not on the scrap heap, have perfectly good lan based consoles that will work with an IP address using telnet or ssh.

SEP
Steven E Protter
Owner of ISN Corporation
http://isnamerica.com
http://hpuxconsulting.com
Sponsor: http://hpux.ws
Twitter: http://twitter.com/hpuxlinux
Founder http://newdatacloud.com
Jason Naren

Thanks for the quick reply. the systems are a mix of rp7400,rp4400 and rp3440. The reasoning for the need to connect to them via the console is incase all other means to connect to them are unavailable. Is that even something that I should be concerned about?
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hmm... 373035-B21 is a serial connection adapter for HP RJ-45 KVMs. I would not expect it to work with a KVM of another brand, as to the best of my knowledge, the KVM protocols over RJ-45 cables are not standardized between manufacturers at all.

That said, all the models you mentioned (rp7400, rp4400 and rp3440) have a built-in management processor which offers full console functionality over the network, independent of the OS.

The management processor will always be running as long as the server receives power. You can use it to remotely power down the server, and later power it back up again the same way.

The management processor has its own network interface, which is not visible to the server OS at all. To set up its IP address and other network parameters, you use the local serial console (press Ctrl-B on the console to access the management processor command prompt).

In rp7400 it might still be called "GSP": the older management processor type, with telnet and web access with low-grade encryption.

The rp3440 and rp4400 both have MP/iLO, the modernized version of the management processor. It offers SSL-secured web GUI and command line access with both telnet and SSH protocols (a license may be required to enable the SSH option).

The thing is, in all these models, the serial console is also routed through the management processor. If the MP fails for some reason, the serial console is likely to be non-functional too. So adding the serial console access over the KVM does not really give you much extra reliability over using the MP's built-in LAN console connection.

The MPs are usually pretty robust, assuming that you have kept the MP firmware reasonably up to date. Some early firmware versions had some problems, but they were usually curable by rebooting the MP, which can be done independent of the server OS.

If you can login to the server over the regular network interfaces and get root access, you can command the OS to signal the MP to reboot itself. Failing that, there is usually a physical reset button for the MP only. (It may be located next to the TOC button that is used to crash&reboot the server - don't press the wrong one!)

If I recall correctly, accessing the MP reset button in a rp4400 may require poking through an air exhaust hole in a specific location. The MP reset button location is detailed in the hardware manuals for your server: read them.

MK
MK
Jason Naren

Thanks to all this gives me a direction to go. Also we do have a HP KVM that we may try

Thanks!
vadivel

Hi If you want to use (373035-B21)cable it connects from the CAT5 cable to a serial port.Usualy it will work so first Check the serial port

TX
Vadivel
"You Cannot Always Control Circumstances But You Can Control Your Own Thoughts"
vadivel

Plz go thru..
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00793971/c00793971.pdf?jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

TX
Vadivel
"You Cannot Always Control Circumstances But You Can Control Your Own Thoughts"
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

KVM is designed for PC-type servers. The HP 9000 systems do not have a PC interface -- they use a real terminal (RS-232 serial) and also a network port in parallel to the serial port. Raritan makes an excellent serial port concentrator which may also solve a similar problem you have with no-KVM support on your network switches, firewalls, UPS boxes and so on.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Jason Naren

Thanks to all ! We are going to try the Raritan Seral adapter and see how it goes

Thanks
Jason