HPE 9000 and HPE e3000 Servers
1753781 Members
7347 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP Exemplar X-Class SPP2000 and HP-UX - possible?

bgawert
Frequent Advisor

HP Exemplar X-Class SPP2000 and HP-UX - possible?

I have a question regarding the HP SPP2000 X-Class servers:

Convex built these systems running with a special version of HP-UX (SPP-UX). Later HP bought Convex and replaced the PA-8000 180MHz CPUs with PA-8200 200MHz CPUs (V2200). The V-Class can run HP-UX including 11i. So my question:

Is it possible to run HP-UX 11i on a SPP2000? What is necessary to do this? A firmware upgrade? Or does one really have to replace the CPU-Boards?

Benjamin
4 REPLIES 4
Jeff Schussele
Honored Contributor

Hi Benjamin,

Firmware for sure.
And I suspect that the CPU boards will need to be upgraded as well. HP-UX kernels are *very* sensitive to CPU type & it's highly likely that the kernel would have trouble dealing with a PA-8000 when it's expecting a PA-8200 in a "V2200". Besides, what kind of sys-type do you think that system will respond with upon query?
I bet you wouldn't even be able to apply the firmware *until* the "proper" CPU boards were installed.
Of course this is pure speculation - but tempered with a lot of experience.

Rgds,
Jeff
PERSEVERANCE -- Remember, whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger!
bgawert
Frequent Advisor

Well, SPP-UX is basically HP-UX (10.01 when I remember right). I know that I can upgrade a SPP2000 to a V2200/2250, but I want to know if a X-Class (SPP2000) can also run HP-UX 11.x without being upgraded to V-Class. I heard from different sources that HP offered a firmware upgrade to allow the SPP2000 to run plain HP-UX.

If it really isn't possible to run HP-UX on a X-Class I would like to know what exactly has to be replaced besides the CPU. Do I need new memory boards and RAM modules? Do I even need a new Midplane? What about the PSUs?

Benjamin
Jeff Schussele
Honored Contributor

Hi (again) Benjamin,

Well I'll have to defer to an HP expert as my experience with Vs is limited to the 2500/2600 lines. So I don't have any stick time on the lower models.
Hopefully an HP person will chime in.

Rgds,
Jeff
PERSEVERANCE -- Remember, whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger!
tech1214
Advisor

SPP-UX may have sorta, kinda looked like HP-UX from the "outside" but on the inside it was a whole different beast - essentially a heavily moddified (aka lots of bugs fixed,and plenty of new ones added) version of Mach.

To partially answer your question - yes it is possible to run HP-UX on an S-Class, and maybe even on an X-class (multi-node s-class) - I've seen it in the lab, and I was told that the changes to HP-UX to get it to boot on the S were relatively minor. But, that was a lab environment, and not anything even vaguely resembling a supported configuration.

I have not heard of a purchaseable upgrade to an s-class to run HP-UX. My experience has been that HP will sell you a v-class and take your old hardware in trade. I don't know if that is still an option, I don't think V's are even on the price-list anymore. Either-way, that is not a definitive NO, just a, "I've never heard of it."

At the very least, your scsi controllers would have to go - the Q-logic cards that shipped in the s-class were not supported by HP-UX, for that you need NCR/LSI/Symbios based controllers.