New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP K class server problem

SOLVED
Go to solution
Praveen R
Frequent Advisor

HP K class server problem

Hi,
When i try to boot this m/c it gives me "WARN 80F5 failed to initialize". It stops at PDC prompt. If i do a "sea" and try to boot from one of the disks, Some time it boots and some times it throws obove error message.I get this message even if try to boot from installation CD. I feel there is some hardware issue. Can anyone help in this.

Best regards
Praveen R
10 REPLIES 10
T G Manikandan
Honored Contributor

What is the ENTRY_INIT status?
Jakes Louw
Trusted Contributor

Are the boot disks on seperate SCSI cards?

If not, it sounds like a backplane problem.
Trying is the first step to failure - Homer Simpson
Chris Wilshaw
Honored Contributor

This link has an attachment on one of the replies which has a list of the PDC error codes etc.

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=214864
Todd McDaniel_1
Honored Contributor
Solution

Praveen,

It appears you have a hardware error, but you need to post the screen output...

There is a "status" of the ENTRY_INIT which will tell you what the error is

A ENTRY INIT status = -4 is an "unrecoverable hardware error has occurred between the processor PDC and IODC on the target controller or device"

A ENTRY INIT status = -7 error is due to the case that it is unable to find the boot disk or you are trying to boot through a non-existing device.

Please post that status and we can help you better.
Unix, the other white meat.
Praveen R
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for the response. Now how do i get this "status of the ENTRY_INIT". Pls help.

Regards
Praveen R
Joshua Scott
Honored Contributor

The error should look something like this on the terminal screen:

ENTRY INIT = -4
or
ENTRY INIT = -7

followed by a bunch of hex codes.
What are the chances...
Praveen R
Frequent Advisor

Hi

I am getting ENTRY INIT status = -7 if i try to boot from fixed disk and i get ENTRY INIT status = -4 if booted from bootable cd (Installation CD). The same CD works on another hardware. According to Todd McDaniel reply, -4 status is an "unrecoverable hardware error has occurred between the processor PDC and IODC on the target controller or device". So what is the next step?
In fact my terminal screen was rolling up fast, hence I did not notice this error msg earlier. After getting the clue I managed to track it. I really appreciate all the help, Of course finally I will assign points :)
Best regards
Praveen R
kamal_9
Super Advisor

Hi Praveen
Just try by refixing the cards at the backside and check for connections to the root disk.just open the front cover and remove the screws you can able to acess the hdd try refixing the connections
Praveen R
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

Finally it is solved. Following two things helped me to identify the problem:
A ENTRY INIT status = -4 is an "unrecoverable hardware error has occurred between the processor PDC and IODC on the target controller or device"

A ENTRY INIT status = -7 error is due to the case that it is unable to find the boot disk or you are trying to boot through a non-existing device.

Actual problem:
Primary boot path was set wrongly. I changed the primary boot path to appropriate drive, now it is working fine. It was a good learning experience for me. Thanks to all who responded.

Warm regards
Praveen R