New Discussion юеВ

HP RP7410/7420 Cell Boards

SOLVED
Go to solution
pj_11
Super Advisor

HP RP7410/7420 Cell Boards

Hello,

This is just a general enquiry.Could someone confirm if i had to replace memory or processor
on the above models.When you have 2 cell boards
what is the procedure can i remove one cell board while the other when can still be used online.Happy New Year to all.

PJ
7 REPLIES 7
Mark Nieuwboer
Esteemed Contributor
Solution

Re: HP RP7410/7420 Cell Boards

On the rp7410 you can't remove/replace memory our cpu online. You have to bring down the whole system.

On the rp7420 if you have made 2 separate npars you can replace an cellboard and let the other cellboard running.
If you didn't make 2 seperate npars it can'tyou have too shutdown the whole machine.

grtz. mark
pj_11
Super Advisor

Mark,

Thanks for your reply.

PJ
Mohanasundaram_1
Honored Contributor

Hi PJ,

Mark statement about rp7410 is not accurate. You can do the same thing in it as you do in rp7420. Both are cell based systems.

YOu can replace the Memory in 1 cell board when other is online, provided each of the cellboard is having individual npars.

But a word of caution: When you remove 1 cell board for replacing components, remember to put back the side cover immediately. Otherwise the system will shutdown due to improper air flow. I have seen this practically.

Mark may probably be referring to rp7400 which is not a cell based system.

With regards,
Mohan.
Attitude, Not aptitude, determines your altitude
pj_11
Super Advisor

Hello,

Thank you for the update.This will make life more easier.You are saying as long as each cell has a NPAR you can remove and replace then reinsert while the other the cell is active.

Thank you

PJ
Mohanasundaram_1
Honored Contributor

Thats right. You got it correct.
Attitude, Not aptitude, determines your altitude
pj_11
Super Advisor

Hello,

This will be great as to limit downtime on server.This will also help with hardware faults.Well spotted that Man.

PJ
pj_11
Super Advisor

Mohanasundaram resolved my general enquiry.

PJ