HPE 9000 and HPE e3000 Servers
1752748 Members
4803 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP Superdome Features and usage details?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Raj D.
Honored Contributor

HP Superdome Features and usage details?

Hi gurus ,

i want to know the details about HP SUPERDOME server , can any one explain it,

1. In which way its different than other HP 9000 servers. i have worked on L class server, K class , D class.

2.What are the HP-Ux or other OS versions could be loaded on it.

3. What are the most important capabilities of Superdome.

4. It supports max 512 CPU , so can we implement , Vpar , npartiion and How it differs from other.

5. Whcih field it is useful. [Application , Storage , Datawarehousing , mission Critical etc.]

Just if any one can explain their practical views , is greatly appreciable ,

Thanks in advance ,

Raj D.
" If u think u can , If u think u cannot , - You are always Right . "
6 REPLIES 6
Raj D.
Honored Contributor

Re: HP Superdome Features and usage details?

Hi all ,

Any short answer will do ....and summarize is appereciable ...

" If u think u can , If u think u cannot , - You are always Right . "
RAC_1
Honored Contributor

Not in details, but some feedback.

1. The superdomes differ from other servers in many ways. The CPUs used are still same PA-RISC. The itaniums can also be put into. so you can run Windows$$, HP-UX on Superdomes.

2. As far as I know, it can run only 11i and later versions. Not very sure about it though.

3. Scalability.

4. do'nt know the max no. of CPUS it can support. vpar-virtual pertition. npar- Hardware partition. As vitrual word explains, vitrual partitions are vitrual partitions in a single machine, with resources divided between partitions. napr is like having seperate machines. Their own poer supply. Can be rebooted independant of each other.

5. Depening upon the nature of business and the requirements, it can be used in different fields. As scalability is what it is good at, you can use it wherewhere you want.

Hope this helps. Also you may want to look at product.hp.com and get spcs for it.

Anil
There is no substitute to HARDWORK
melvyn burnard
Honored Contributor

Take a look here for some information:
http://www.hp.com/products1/servers/integrity/superdome.html?jumpid=go/superdome
My house is the bank's, my money the wife's, But my opinions belong to me, not HP!
R. Sri Ram Kishore_1
Respected Contributor

Hi Raj,

These links should help:
a) http://www.hp.ca/products/static/superdome/features-en.html
b) www.hp.ru/data/offline/ products/0791/sd_hp9000_tech_wp.pdf
c) http://www.hp.com/products1/servers/scalableservers/superdome/infolibrary/

HTH.
Regards,
Sri Ram
"What goes up must come down. Ask any system administrator."
Shine_5
Frequent Advisor

Hello raj ,

GO through this link

http://hprtdt58.grc.hp.com/documents/systems/SD/menue.html

regards
Shine
Ted Buis
Honored Contributor
Solution

Superdome was the first system from HP to use a cell based architecture. There are four processor sockets on each cell and the cells are connected via crossbar switching technology. Cells have local memory and potentially also I/O. Cell can be combined to share resources or can function separately in a separate hard partition (nPar). Superdomes support up to 16 cells.
1. The L, K and D class were all SMP bus based solutions.
2. Superdome required 11i and Integrity Superdome with Itanium processors requires 11i v2.
3. Scalability and performance is the number one claim with up to 1TB of RAM and 128 CPUx, up to 192 I/O slots and 16 nPars.
4. Only cell based systems support nPars. Not all systems support vPars. Superdome does. Integrity Superdome does not. The max number of CPUs is 128.
5. The beauty of the Superdome design is that is performs well in all the benchmarks from TPC-C (OLTP) to TPC-H (datawarehouse), and SPECjbb2000 (web applications).

If you don't quite need that scalability, the rp8420 is a "Quarterdome" (4 cells), and the rp7420 is a "One-Eigthdome" (2 cells), so you have some alternatives short of the Superdome itself.
Mom 6