8313 Online
108810 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP System console

SOLVED
Go to solution
Becki Henderson

HP System console

Hello I need some help with 700/96 console for hp9000. I have never used this before. I used lantronix term server. I have reset the thing to defaults. How do I get a login prompt for the system. I don't know how to get to a login.
I am in desperate need to get a console on this box !!. Any help will MUCH appreciated!
also mass points :-0
Thanks in advance!
9 REPLIES 9
RAC_1
Honored Contributor

Connect a cable to the console port. (Serial cable) Using hyperterminal/or something similar, do following settings.

1. Bits persecond-- 9600
2. Data Bits -- 8
3. Parity -- none
4. Stop bits -- 1
5. Flow Control -- none or Hardware

And press enter, It should give you a prompt. Now using different GSp commands, configure a GSP. Sush as LC (lan configuration etc.)

Now, if you telnet to GSP and do command "co", it should give you a login prmopt.

There is no substitute to HARDWORK
Rodney Hills
Honored Contributor

You didn't mention the model of hp9000.

Be sure to use the serial cable supplied by HP. The pinnings although mostly standard have a slight variation.

Set Terminal to 9600baud, 8 bit, no-parity.
Try 19200baud if that doesn't work.

Some hp9000 have adapter with 3 plugins.
1 for console
1 for UPS
1 for modem
Be sure to use the right one.

HTH

-- Rod Hills
There be dragons...
Becki Henderson

I am so not familiar with this. I have the terminal hooked up and I have a screen with softlink menu, that is it. I can't get a prompt. I can telnet to the box using my pc so I don't know what you mean about adding those settings. Can you give me steps to do this. I am sorry for being so basic with this and I really do appreciate your help.
Becki Henderson

Thanks for your quick replies,
Do I set those params at the command line or do I use like f5 (terminal config on the console itself) I don't know where to go to do this?
thanks
Rodney Hills
Honored Contributor
Solution

Push the user/system button (located between F4 and F5)

Select F4 modes
- Line modify should be off
- Block mode should be off
- Remove mode should be on
(press matching Function key to switch, * means it's on)

Select F8 config key
Select F3 to get to baud rate and such
Select F5 to get to Terminal config, be sure DataComm is set to Serial(1)/Serial(2).
Press F1 to save the configuration after a change.

HTH

-- Rod Hills
There be dragons...
Ted Buis
Honored Contributor

I would not use hardware flow control unless I was 100% sure of the cable and the port. At 9600 baud, you should need flow control anyway.
Mom 6
Kent Ostby
Honored Contributor

Becki --

Assuming that you have the terminal cabled, there is a two step process to make sure the terminal is available.

On the hardware side do this:

Power down the 700/96 and hold down the "d" key. Power it up while still holding the "d" key down and count to 8. When you get to 8, let up on the d-key and you will see a message that says default configs used press return to clear. Hit return and the HW is reset.

If you still don't get a prompt from the system than you now have a sw issue.

Telnet into the box as root and do:

ps -ef | grep console

You will see something like:

root 2000 1 0 Feb 17 console 0:00 /usr/sbin/getty console console
root 2870 29865 2 10:12:11 ttyq8 0:00 grep cons

You want to kill off the line that has the getty in it. So for the example above, you would do:

kill 2000

Now, check your console again and you should ahve a login prompt.

Best regards,

Oz
"Well, actually, she is a rocket scientist" -- Steve Martin in "Roxanne"
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

You MUST use a crossover cable. Otherwise, you'll see nothing on the screen because your keyboard output is going into the computer's output. A crossover cable is also know as a null modem or printer cable.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Becki Henderson

Thanks to all. I have it working :-)