New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP Terminal 700/96 with local printer

SOLVED
Go to solution
Thayanidhi
Honored Contributor

HP Terminal 700/96 with local printer

Hi,

I have HP ascii termial 700/96, and connected with local parallel printer.
I want any thing coming on the console should print in the printer.
How to configure the terminal to print all the console messages to
the printer as well. correct procedure will be assigned 10 points.
Any other suggestion will be warded accordingly.

Thanks inadvance.

TT
T.Thayanidhi
Attitude (not aptitude) determines altitude.
5 REPLIES 5
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

The 700/96 does not have a parallel printer port. The port on the back that says printer is RS-232 serial. (you can thank IBM for using the DB-25 connector that was originally spec'd for RS-232). You'll need a serial printer or a parallel to serial adapter. Once you have a serial connection, you'll need a serial printer cable (called a crossover or nullmodem cable). Set the printer to 9600 baud, 8N1 parameters (those are the defaults for the 700/96) To log everything, just select LOG BOTTOM (press the softkey to turn on logging so the key shows: LOG BOTTOM*)

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Joshua Scott
Honored Contributor

Bill,

The 700/96 consoles I have have 3 ports on the back, a 9-pin serial, a 25-pin serial, and a 25-pin parallel.
What are the chances...
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Oops, I was reading 700/92 rather than the 700/96. That makes configuration a lot easier. Just connect the printer to the parallel port and select that port for printing. LOG BOTTOM* will write every new line to the printer. There are other softkey options to print the current screen, etc.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor
Solution

In case you lost the manual for the 700/96, here is a quick overview of how to setup the 700/96 for a logging printer:

Press the User/System key next to f5. A set of labels will come up with "device control" shown on the left (corresponds to f1). To configure the printer port, press f8 labeled "config keys", then f5 "Terminal config". The first line is the "Datacomm/ExtDev" item. Press f2 "Next Choice" several times to cycle through the combinations. You'll want Serial(1)/Parallel(1). NOTE: This menu also has the terminal emulation mode as the very last item. It should say HP. Use tab to get to that items and f2 "Next Choice" until HP shows up. Then press f1 "Save config".

Now your printer is reasdy to use. To print a test page, press User/System a couple of times to bring up the main configuration keys where f1 = "Device Control". Press f1 for "device control" and press f2 "TO EXT DEV" so that a * appears. Now, any copy screen actions will go to the printer. Now press f4 "advance Page" and the printer should eject one sheet of paper. Now press the Home-Up key to put the cursor at the top of the page, press f6 "copy all" then f4 "advance page"

To set up logging, press f1 "device modes" then f3 "LOG BOTTOM" and you're all set.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Thayanidhi
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Sorry for the delay, I will try tomorrow and assign points.

Thanking you

TT
Attitude (not aptitude) determines altitude.