108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP-UX 11.x and V-Class

SOLVED
Go to solution
bgawert
Frequent Advisor

HP-UX 11.x and V-Class

I have two V-Class Servers, one V2500 and one V2600. For installing HP-UX on these machines can I use one of the two media sets I have?

- HP-UX 11i December 2001 (B3920-60274)

- HP-UX 11.0 March 2002 (B3782-68290)

Benjamin
16 REPLIES 16
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor
Solution

Always use the latest version. Once installed, you'll need your SupportPlus CDROM to add all the patches. If you do not have any software support you can download the SupportPlus bundles from ITRC: http://software.hp.com/SUPPORT_PLUS/

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
bgawert
Frequent Advisor

So at least the V-Classes don't require any special CD Media sets.

Thanks.

Benjamin
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Well, like all HP servers and workstations (many dozens now), the V-class has minimum versions of HP-UX that will work. For instance, the V-2600 requires a mre recent version of HP-UX than the V-2500 because there are a lot of hardware differences inside the box. Same with K-series, N/L/A class and the L-series. In the case of rp-class boxes, 32bit versions of HP-UX will not load at all and many of the newer boxes cannot load 11.00 at all (require 11.11). The V-2600 (in my cloudy memory) came out in 2001..maybe. So the 2002 media should be OK. The box should have come with the correct media (well, it was originally shipped from HP with the correct media).

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
doug hosking
Esteemed Contributor

There was a *very* limited release version of HP-UX called 11.10 that was specifically created to enable these systems. To the best of my knowledge, no 11.00 version ever worked on them.
Tim Sanko
Trusted Contributor

Ben,

First get the test stations working.

As a V-2600 Admin, with 2 other V class systems, I can tell you that the 64 bit OS from 2002 will work. The UPS has the root drives in it.(In all probability it has its own powerthruster UPS. The root drives are probably the 18 or 36 GB drives.)

The real key is that you load the TEST STATION and get it connected and working first.

One further hint if you put the test station on ethernet with IP, don't use DNS for resolution first.

The test station and the connections therein are the key when setting up a V.

I think they are superior to N's and RP's until the 32 way RP came out...

Tim
Tim Sanko
Trusted Contributor

Bill is dead on on the availability of the 2600, We got ours Aug 29,2001.

Kudo's on the memory Bill!!!

Tim
bgawert
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for all the answers!

I have the B180L Test Station with the media (HP-UX 10.20 and the Test Station Manager Software Ver. 5.), so installing the SPP workstation should be no problem. Thanks for the tip with avoiding DNS but I don't plan on putting the machines on a LAN, so DNS should be a non-issue.

As to the disk drives, the two V's I have don't have any disks, and they also miss the drive cages. Otherwise they are complete. I didn't get any UPS with the machines. I assume the UPS should be separate or is it integrated in the V-Class?

I only want to do some tests on the machines as I plan to sell at least one of them both (preferrably the V2600). Anyone knows what a system like this (32x PA-8600 552MHz, 8GB RAM, CDROM, DDS3) should be worth?

Benjamin
Jeff Schussele
Honored Contributor

Hi Benjamin,

You're not "missing" any drives in the V-class systems - they don't have *any* provivions for internal drives at all. You have to get an external enclosure (like an SC/FC-10 or such) to serve as "internal" drives. Whomever sold these to you should have made that crystal-clear. You're not going to be able to use it until you attach some type of SCSI/fibre storage.
If you're tight on $, you could even use an old Jamaica enclosure, which you should be able to find dirt-cheap on the Reman or ebay market.

Rgds,
Jeff
PERSEVERANCE -- Remember, whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger!
bgawert
Frequent Advisor

Hi Jeff,

Are You sure with the internal storage? Both V-Classes have some internal 68pin cables on the left side (bottom) and on the right side (upper area) where a disk tray was installed before. These interna cables go to some connectors that are connected to FWD-SCSI COntrollers via a flexible cable.

And I downloaded a Manual "Disk Tray Installation and Service Guide for V-Class" which shows how to install disks in the internal disk trays in the V-Class.

Nevertheless, I have an old StorageWorks 500 cabinet with 40x4GB disk standing around that should be suitable for testing the V-Class.

Benjamin