1752813 Members
6291 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP-UX 9000/800 Console Devise

Ripstick
Occasional Advisor

HP-UX 9000/800 Console Devise

Our HP box has a serial port I used to connect a laptop up to, to use as a console. We now have a "Rose Rack console" device that acts as a multi-server keyboard/mouse setup. I take it there is no way to interface this with the UNIX box. Just looking for ideas, sugestions...what others have done. Does this sound good? The UNIX box is right next to one of our server racks. I was thinking. Running UNIX emulation on a server, connecting the serial port of the UNIX box to the server and use the server and it's connected Rose Rack as the console. Any help would be apreciated.
Thanks
Chuck
Game over man... game over.
6 REPLIES 6
Mel Burslan
Honored Contributor

I have never used this rose brand rack console but if I am not mistaken, this is a KVM switch for the wintel class machines. Unless it has a capability to provide serial port access concentration as well as KVM functions, it is not something you can replace your serial console with.

if you are looking for similar functionality, i.e., console concentration, check out cyclades.com (now part of avocent) website for detailed analysis of such devices. We replaced our deprecated console solution with cyclades console servers and they work great.

THANKS !!
I see they have a CMM Comsole Manager for connecting over IP. Is that what you have. I'm in a remote branch and the UNIX box is in corporate. It would be nice to have a console sittting on my desk. All this is very preliminary right now. Anyone have any price ranges on this sort of equipment?
Thanks Again.
Chuck
Mel Burslan
Honored Contributor

if what you have is just a one or may be upto 3-4 servers, these may be an overkill. Depending on what model of servers you have on the remote site (i.e. corporate), you may have a built in lan console (if you have N-class machines or newer) or you can look into getting secure web console (one per server needed) On ebay, I remember seeing these for less than $50 per piece.
( here is one from ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=9739350912&category=11175 ) They are a little cumbersone to configure but if they lock up, all you need to do is to ask someone to unplug the power cord and plug it back in after few seconds.

The cyclades servers are quite pricey. New ones, on the lower end, pricing starts around $3000 if I am not mistaken. So, it is not feasible for a handful of servers. It is more for datacenters with hundred or more servers.

Hope this helps

What you want is a serial port concentrator but it is often confused with KVM switches which are only useful for PCs and other graphics-only boxes. Serial concentrators are IMMENSELY important as multi-server console switches, but not just for HP-UX boxes. They can be used to connect to all your networking equipment including firewalls, routers, load balancers, switches, even smart UPS boxes. There are many manufacturers of these boxes and they start at a few hundred dollars for 2 and 4 port boxes all the way to several thousand for 24 and 32 port boxes. With network access, multiple admins can look at different ports at the same time. Some boxes will buffer (log) some of the data so you can connect and roll backwards to see what has previously taken place.

Almost all use an imbedded Linux OS with both network access (telnet or SSH) as well as a serial console and even a backup modem. A lot of network admins are helpless if they can't talk to their firewall over the network, yet there a perfectly good serial port that cold be used. Naturally, the network for these port concetrators must be isolated both for security but also for reliability and fallback remote access (ie, modem).

The most popular manufacturers are:

Avocent
Cyclades
Digi International
Lantronix
Logical Solutions
MRV Communications
Raritan Computer

Almost all of these companies have KVM switches too so be sure you are looking at RS-232 serial port concentrators. Every data center should invest in these extremely important connection boxes. There are indispensible for remote system management.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
sajeer_2
Regular Advisor

Hi Chuck,

Better to go for LAN console or Web console for having remote console access for hp-ux boxes.

sajeer
Ripstick
Occasional Advisor

Thanks to all for the great responses. This really opened my eyes. Thanks again!