4999 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP-UX installation

Alexander Cosmulescu
Occasional Contributor

HP-UX installation

Hello,
first a special thanks to Randy Rayfield and Brian Rawlings to help me out with connecting my HP 9000 800/H40 A2438A. I know it is an old equipment, but I buy it from Ebay for 5 EURO only to play(get experince)with HP-UX. Now my next problem: the cdrom device was damaged and I get a new one, also from Ebay. I have to install it but how can I find out the SCSI Id there are already used for the other devices: DDS, HDD, etc. I reach the console promt and with help I found out some commands but nothing regarding devices. Thanks in advance.
6 REPLIES 6
Jeff Schussele
Honored Contributor

Re: HP-UX installation

Hi Alexander,

Logged in as root run:

ioscan -funC ext_bus

This will give you the HW address of all SCSI HBAs. Determine which one you'll be connecting the CD to & run

ioscan -fnH HW_PATH

So let's say the SCSI HBA is at HW path 10/0 - run:

ioscan -fnH 10/0

The numbers following the 10/0 (EX: 10/0.5 & 10/0.6) will be the SCSI IDs. In the example IDs 5 & 6 are in use. ID 7 will almost *always* be in use because it will be the address of the HBA itself.

HTH,
Jeff
PERSEVERANCE -- Remember, whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger!
malvin drakley
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Alexander, normally the address of a cd on the older machines was always set to 0. So you wouldn't need to put any address links on the rear of the cd.
cheers
malvin
Not me Chief, I'm Radar
Alexander Cosmulescu
Occasional Contributor

Hi Jeff,

I don't have the operating system installed. Thats the next step. I start the machine and get a question: Boot primary or alternative. If I select Boot primary the return is No OS. Then I try Alternative: return No boot device. So I presume the cdrom device is blocking the SCSI interface (?)
Thayanidhi
Honored Contributor

Primary or alternate boot paths can be changed from BDC. Try either id 0 or 2.
Some of the old systems (e.g K) The tape is 0 and cd is 2. The controller is always 7 and disks are generally set 6,5,4 ..etc

I am not sure "sea" command available in H40. If available it will list all the devices.

TT
Attitude (not aptitude) determines altitude.
Jon Steele
Valued Contributor

Hi,

At the bch menu type in sea this will do a search .When it finds your hard drives and your cdrom look at the left to see the path.Put in your os into the cdrom and whatever it said to the left type that in.Example if it said P1 beside the path of the cdrom type in bo P1 then hit enter, this will allow you to boot to the cdrom.Also most cdroms come in as id 2 tape drives usually come in as id 0.

hope this helps

Jon
Tom Ward_1
Honored Contributor

Hello Alexander,

Thayanidhi is correct, the nova class systems do not have a search command at the service processor. You need to know the patch to your device before you power up. It may require you to open up the system and check the SCSI IDs on the disks, CD rom and tape. I have marked them on the brackets inside the system on my H50.

The internal scsi controller is at 52.0.0.
Once you know the scsi IDs for the devices you can figure out the path. I've got tape on ID 1, CD on ID 4, and disks on IDs 5 and 6.

tape 52.1.0 HP HP35480A
disk 52.4.0 CD-ROM XM-4101TA
disk 52.5.0 FIREBALL SE3.2S
disk 52.6.0 FIREBALL ST2.1S

I can boot on CD by saying no to boot pri and boot alt and then enter 52.4.0

If there is just a CD rom drive (no tape drive) you may get lucky and be able to boot from it with "b alt". If you have a tape drive "b alt" is likely the tape device.

You can only run 10.20 and 11.00 32-bit on this old hardware. I think you'd be happier with a c200 or better, but it's nice to keep old hardware from the scrape yard.

Please try to assign some points to answers if they help you. Besides rewarding those who answer it's a good indication to others seaching ITRC which answers helped you.

Good luck,
Tom