108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP-UX support for various servers

SOLVED
Go to solution
Larry Hyde
Occasional Advisor

HP-UX support for various servers

I have several older servers running HP-UX 10.20. They include G,D and K-class servers. I was wondering what upgrade paths are available. I believe they can all go to 11.00, but can they go to 11.11? Is there a reference doc which shows what servers are supported for each version of the OS?
5 REPLIES 5
Stuart Abramson
Trusted Contributor

Larry, hpux 11.11 will run on the D and K class. It's "backward-compatable". I don't know about the G, which is a good 10 years old now. Watch your memory. Some of the older machines didn't have much RAM.

There is a "Support Matrix" somewhere. Try the search at the top of this page for "Support Matrix".
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor
Solution

Larry Hyde
Occasional Advisor

Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks.
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

The G,H,I servers are only useful as boat anchors. They can go to 11.00 but only for experimental uses as they are so slow (less than 100 Mhz) and they aren't supported on 11.11 (note that 11.00 is almost obsolete). The D class is a nice deskside machine and can move to 11.11 but it is also fairly slow. The K-boxes can also run 11.11 but when you can buy a used A500 computer that is much faster, 1/10th the size, 1/3 the AC power/airconditioning and only costs about $2-3K, it makes no sense to keep the K-boxes. NOTE that upgrading from 10.20 is not an option. The 11.00/11.11 process to upgrade almost never works and you left with a mess to reload. Do cold installs for 11.00 or 11.11.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Robert Bennett_3
Respected Contributor

that's a handy matrix - thanks
"All there is to thinking is seeing something noticeable which makes you see something you weren't noticing which makes you see something that isn't even visible." - Norman Maclean