1753883 Members
7257 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP drive firmware

GB Tek
Valued Contributor

HP drive firmware

Is there a way to flash a comparable Seagate drive with HP firmware to use in a HP Kbox. We have a drive but the system won't see it when we boot or in ioscan.
Ask and you shall receive
11 REPLIES 11
Robert_Jewell
Honored Contributor

What type of drive is it and where are you attaching it to the K class?

The internal bay on a K class is wide diff. SE diff drives will not work.

-BOb
----------------
Was this helpful? Like this post by giving me a thumbs up below!
GB Tek
Valued Contributor

I have a Seagate ST34573WC which is the identical drive used in our K460. It doesn't have HP firmware though and doesn't get recognized. It has the same interface and seagate number as the one in our server.
Ask and you shall receive
Ken Hubnik_2
Honored Contributor

The HP firmware is generally done by a special tape or cd that only the HP CE's have.
Robert_Jewell
Honored Contributor

Is the drive known good? I have seen generic Seagate drives work fine in these systems. Typically if the drive is not seen at the Boot Admin level there is a problem with the drive/interface, etc.

-Bob
----------------
Vincent Farrugia
Honored Contributor

Hello,

Generally when disks are not seen it is because of a hardware problem. Having HP firmware or not, the disk should be seen by the host.

Check the SCSI cabling, termination, and of course, the disk itself... is it spinning?

HTH,
Vince
Tape Drives RULE!!!
Jeff Schussele
Honored Contributor

Hi Greg,

Make sure that drive is set to SCSI ID 0, as the enclosure will set the actual ID.
I'd just make sure the jumpers match an existing working "HP" drive.

Rgds,
Jeff
PERSEVERANCE -- Remember, whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger!
Robert_Jewell
Honored Contributor

Actually Jeff the internal drives for the K class systems are hard jumpered. Perhaps you were thinking of the D class?

-Bob
----------------
Jeff Schussele
Honored Contributor

Robert - Yep & the Jamaicas....
Are you sure about that?
I thought the ID was position-specific on Ks.
I usually let the CEs dink with the K internal drives.

Jeff
PERSEVERANCE -- Remember, whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger!
Xavier Gutierrez_1
Frequent Advisor

Hi, all.

This is a *hard* question.

You'll have a hard time, since the "ways" you have to flash it are provided by HP.
Those, let's say, tools won't flash firmware to anything that does not have an Inquiry String that identifies it as an HP product.

The K-class internal drives' SCSI ID are hard set by the jumpers at the front of it. They're usually set to 6, 5, 4, 3...

But be careful. If you are using the embedded connector on the K's core I/O card to connect to any other device, be aware this bus is the same as the internal disks' bus.

Anyway, flashing firmware to a *non* HP product to convert it to HP product is not a thing to discuss in this HP's forums...