HPE 9000 and HPE e3000 Servers
1752821 Members
4839 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP rp5430 Memory Installation Instruction

HP rp5430 Memory Installation Instruction

Dear all..

Tomorrow,I've to upgrade the memory on rp5430 server.

But I unable to find the rp5430 service guide or rp5430 memory installation instruction on HP website.

Can you tell me the url link for donwload the file..?
When upgrading the memory on rp5430, Is there any configuration that I need to setup or verify before or after the upgrading..

need ur support...

Thx
Piyadassi
13 REPLIES 13
Andrew Rutter
Honored Contributor

hi,

full details for the memory guidelines can be found here

http://www.docs.hp.com/en/A5191-96022/ch01s03.html

full manual in pdf format is here

http://www.docs.hp.com/en/A5191-96022/A5191-96022.pdf

once the memory is installed then you can verify it is seen correctly at PDC

power on server and stop it from booting at BCH. then issue this command at the MA> prompt

MA> in me

if its seen correctly, then fully boot the system

Andy

Hi Andy..

Thx for ur fast response..

For memory configuration rules, the rp5430 is similiar with rp5450 or similiar with rp5470..?

Because from the link, that u sent to me. I can not find rp5430, just rp54xx,rp5450,rp5470..

So,for example when I want to install 2 dimm memory (2 x 512MB), I should plug the memory into dimm 0a and 0b. Am I correct..?

Many thanks
Piyadassi
Joshua Scott
Honored Contributor

The rp5470 and rp5430 have the same hardware, so you can follow the instructions for an rp5470. The process is fairly simple, just make sure you load the DIMMs evenly across memory carriers. This means that you should install the largest DIMM pairs first, and the smallest last. Here's the order:

Carrier 0, slots 0a&0b
Carrier 1, slots 0a&0b
Carrier 0, slots 1a&1b
etc.

-Josh
What are the chances...

Hi Joshua..

So if My new DIMM memory pairs have the bigger size than existing DIMM memory pairs, I have to unplug the existing memory from the first slot for replaced with New memory that has bigger size, because the biggest size have to plug first. Am I correct..?

In rp5430, There are two Memory Carrier right..? If I'm using only (2x512MB) memory, So I've to plug the memory on slot 0a & ob, both of slots reside in Memory Carrier 0..?

Can you give me the detail picture of memory slots location on rp5430/rp5470..? Is it different configuration with rp54xx/rp5450..?

Need ur help..

Thanks
Piyadassi

Joshua Scott
Honored Contributor

Piyadassi,

Yes, you will have to move the memory around to get the optimal placement if the new memory is larger than the existing memory.

The rp5430 can have 1 or 2 memory carriers, it would just depend on how it was configured.

If you have just 2x512 now, then you will have only 1 memory carrier. If you are adding 2x1024 DIMMs, then you would move the existing 512MB DIMMs to slots 1a & 1b, and install the 1024MB DIMMs in slots 0a & 0b.

I can't find a picture of the memory slots on the rp5430/70, but it's quite simple, and all the slots are labeled clearly. Inside the server you will see the memory carrier. You'll just pull up on the two black levers on each side of the carrier. Once you have it removed, there are 4 screws that need to be loosened, which are holding the metal cage over the DIMMs in place. Once the cage is removed, it's just a matter of installing the DIMMs, which is done like nearly any server or PC.

-Josh
What are the chances...

Josh..

So..Let's say I've aleadny 2 Memory Carriers, Then I'm upgrading the memory pairs by pairs gradually. I have to fulfill the 1st Memory Carriers first right..? Then for after 1st Memory Carriers full, Next I can upgrade the memory into 2nd Memory Carriers. Is it true..?

Carrier 0 slot 0a & 0b,
then slot 1a & 1b,
then slot 2a & 2b,
then slot 3a & 3b,

After already full, I install the memory in 2nd Memory Carriers

Carrier 1 slot 0a & 0b
then slot 1a & 1b,
then slot 2a & 2b,
then slot 3a & 3b,

Is it correct..?

Many thanks for ur support josh..
Regards,
Piyadassi

Joshua Scott
Honored Contributor

Piyadassi,

The memory loading guidelines say that you must balance the memory between the carriers, so you must install in this order:

Carrier 0, slot 0a/b
Carrier 1, slot 0a/b
Carrier 0, slot 1a/b
Carrier 1, slot 1a/b
Carrier 0, slot 2a/b
Carrier 1, slot 2a/b
Carrier 0, slot 3a/b
Carrier 1, slot 3a/b

-Josh
What are the chances...

Josh..

Do you have full article about the memory loading guidelines rp5430.? :)

So, the different between rp5430 & rp5450 is about memory loading guidelines ya..?

Because the rp5450, using 0a/b, 1a/b, 2a/b, 3a/b, 4a/b ,5a/b , 6a/b, 7a/b ,8a/b..

Many Thanks
Piyadassi
Andrew Rutter
Honored Contributor

hi,

the RP5430 only supports upto 8gb ram.

I seem to remember that you can only have one memory carrier installed in that server, supported.

will try and think?

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c00352566тМй=en&cc=us&taskId=101&prodSeriesId=2512032&prodTypeId=15351

but normally you would install the memory across both memory extender/carriers evenly.

so this would be carrier 0 slots 0A/B then carrier 1 slots 0A/B then carrier 0 and 1A/B and carrier 1 1A/B and so on.

Installing the largest pairs first

If when you open it up you have only one carrier/extender then you can just fill this one up. largest pairs first

Do you know the current config?

you could get this info and how many memory carriers and extenders are installed in the system from STM in hpux

Andy