HP rp8400

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
santosh jha
Frequent Advisor

HP rp8400

Hi,
I have a query .In my new server rp8400 for demo purpose of OLAR i took out a lan card and pluged it back but the system didnot recognize it and instead the system got hanged.

Regards
santosh Jha
5 REPLIES 5
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

Re: HP rp8400

Did you go through all of the proper steps of powering off the PCI slot and stuff? You can't just pull out a card and replace it.

You can do all the necessary actions via SAM. Have a look at the OLAR documentation here:

http://docs.hp.com/cgi-bin/fsearch/framedisplay?top=/hpux/onlinedocs/B2355-90698/B2355-90698_top.html&con=/hpux/onlinedocs/B2355-90698/00/00/11-con.html&toc=/hpux/onlinedocs/B2355-90698/00/00/11-toc.html&searchterms=OLAR&queryid=20040103-202439
Michael Tully
Honored Contributor

If your not using SAM, you can use the 'rad' command to manage slots for the addition and removal of cards. If you don't follow this, i.e. power off the slot, switch off software subsystem to the slot, there is a good chance your server will hang. Have a good look at the 'rad' man page.
Anyone for a Mutiny ?
santosh jha
Frequent Advisor

Dear All,
Thanks for your helpful reply but i had used sam and i had done everything step by step.

Regards
Santosh Jha
Alzhy
Honored Contributor
Solution

The lan card that you were trying to pull out.. is it being actively used? Or are there active processes dependent on the lan card? Is this the only lan card on your system and where are you logged in at when doing SAM for your OLAR tests?

Otherwise, did you check that your rp8400 has the latest and greatest patches on it? Yeah yeah.. the usual line -- but all the capabilities of the rp8400/HPUX11i system so far had all worked to the letter in our experience....
Hakuna Matata.
Todd McDaniel_1
Honored Contributor

I would not recommend using rad over SAM... In the man page for rad it states the following....

quote:
"This tool provides OLA/R capabilities, but is not as comprehensive as
the SAM implementation. The command does not make extensive
environmental or critical resource checks since it is expected to be
executed when the system is in a minimal operating state with few, if
any, applications running."

Although rad can be used it is not comprehensive as SAM is.

Did you Card come back after you rebooted?

Panics can happen upon any removal of any card from the host.

LAN cards are especially tricky even if not connected to any fiber...You can panic your box by pulling any memory/Lan/HBA EVEN a dead disk can panic the box on rare occasions...

Unix, the other white meat.