108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP terminal 700/96

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jim Corbett
Occasional Advisor

HP terminal 700/96

We have a HP 700/96 Terminal on a HP D370 at a remote site. I am told that on the lower left coner of the display is a message "Locked KB". How do we unlock the keyboard?
8 REPLIES 8
PIYUSH D. PATEL
Honored Contributor

Hi,

You can press the F4 key or you can reset the terminal and try.

In some terminals you can even set a password and lock the keyboard.

Piyush
PIYUSH D. PATEL
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi,

Hold down the Left shift key on your keyboard and then reset the terminal.

You can try with the D key also.

Piyush
PIYUSH D. PATEL
Honored Contributor

Hi,

The Keyboard Lock message is produced when you accidently cat a binary file to your screen. Keyboard Lock has a number of uses so it is set (and reset) with escape sequences from programs. However, a binary file such as an executable will have random character strings and some of these can affect many settings.

As mentioned, using the Shift-Reset key combination will clear the message on all 700/9x and 238x and 239x HP terminals. For terminal emulators such as WRQ's Reflection for HP, use the Soft Reset (Alt-S) under Connection -> Reset.

The password or special keys used by HP service probably relate to the use of the remote console capability of HP 9000 computers and the keystroke(s) are different depending on what model of 9000 you are using and whether you are using the SupportLink modem, the GSP built-in LAN port, or other support connection.

HTH,
Piyush
S.K. Chan
Honored Contributor

You have to do some "invinsible" typing ..first enter this ..

stty sane

As said .. you wont see what you type..then enter ..

Ctrl-J

hope it works ... it does on mine ..

Jim Corbett
Occasional Advisor

Since this is a remote site and we are the "help" people, I would like to test these items, can you tell me how to lock the keyboard.
Steve Steel
Honored Contributor

Hi

If you own a 700/96-like console, try this sequence:

Hold down Shift while pressing the Reset button (this key should be on the left on your keyboard). This should release the lock.

The Keyboard Lock message is produced when you accidently cat a binary file to your screen. Keyboard Lock has a number of uses so it is set (and reset) with escape sequences from programs. However, a binary file such as an executable will have random character strings and some of these can affect many settings.

As mentioned, using the Shift-Reset key combination will clear the message on all 700/9x and 238x and 239x HP terminals. For terminal emulators such as WRQ's Reflection for HP, use the Soft Reset (Alt-S) under Connection -> Reset.

The password or special keys used by HP service probably relate to the use of the remote console capability of HP 9000 computers and the keystroke(s) are different depending on what model of 9000 you are using and whether you are using the SupportLink modem, the GSP built-in LAN port, or other support connection.

steve Steel
If you want truly to understand something, try to change it. (Kurt Lewin)
ecorban
Frequent Advisor

Hi

We have one of these 700/96 terminals aswell. However, i have tried all the suggestions that were given and it still
does not work. I still get Locked KB.

Is there any other way around this as i use it to connect to rx2620 to configure the initial interface.

any help appreciated.
AdamICS

Holding down the left shift key and reset the terminal have worked everytime for me.