108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP9000 Console

SOLVED
Go to solution
Gary Holden
Occasional Contributor

HP9000 Console

I'm resurrecting a K series and I don't have an RS232 console. What's the easiest way to attach a non-dumb terminal?
8 REPLIES 8
John Poff
Honored Contributor

Hi,

I've seen our local HP CEs use their laptops with a serial cable connected to the console port, running a terminal program in Windows to work as a console. I haven't tried it but it probably wouldn't be too hard to get it going.

JP
Sanjay_6
Honored Contributor

Hi,

A compatible null modem cable and hyperterm on windows desktop / laptop should be enough.

pinout for a null modem cable,

http://www.loop-back.com/null-mod.html

Hope this helps.

regds
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor
Solution

The K-class has a PC-standard 9pin female connector, so you'll need a 9pin to 9pin cable for a PC running an emulator, or possibly a 9pin to 25pin cable. The cable MUST be a crossover (aka, null modem, printer, PC-to-PC, terminal) cable. The processor ROMs need 9600, 8N1 settings. Turn the key on all the way to the right for SERVICE mode so the CTRL-B key will work.

At power on, the front panel will show the sefltests and they will be echoed onto the terminal screen. However, a HP smart terminal (or HP emulator) is the best choice for a console (HP 700/92 or other 700/9x models). There are just a few emulators for HP terminals (WRQ's Reflection for HP, QCTerm, TeraTerm) and a non-dumb terminal should work OK to get started. Once HP-UX is loaded, a non-HP smart terminal may have some difficulties with softkeys, vi editing, etc.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Jesse Dougherty
Honored Contributor

Hi Gary, if you slap in a A2999A HSC Artist 2D color graphics card in one of your HSC slots and use a regular old color monitor. that would probably be the easiest fix.

Jesse
Gary Holden
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Everyone! I made it into the system, but as you've not doubt encountered from time to time, the password I was given doesn't work :-((
Any ideas how to break in? This is an old 9000 K460 Serial Number 3844A56686 with
HP Release B.11.00
I can assure you that I'm the legal owner of the box and everything on it.
Thanks for your help...
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

If you're familiar with HP 9000's, just reboot the box (type CTRL-B to get the CM> prompt, then type RS to reset the computer, or just cycle power) and interrupt the boot process when it says you have 10 seconds to do this. Then use hpux -is to boot into single user mode.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Gary Holden
Occasional Contributor

Bill..... Thanks! I'm a newbie to the HP9000, but I've been around systems for a long time. I could use an HP-UX primer (HP-UX for dummies?) to get me through the fundimentals. Do you know of a link?
Regards, Gary
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

http://docs.hp.com will get you all the manuals online. Marty Poniatowsky's books on HP-UX are a good starting point after the factory manuals.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin